Carapils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
How much Carapils is needed for a 4.5 to 5.5 gal batch for good head retention?

1 to 5 % but i actually prefer to use wheat for good head and carapils for body

I have been using ~1 lb of wheat in all of my beers, but have also been using pilsen LME that has Carapils in it, which isn't really to style for the ales I make.

I was reluctant to use the "ultralight" LME (6-9 L*) until I was able to get definite info on the PPG and color. I'll be trying it soon. But I figure I'll need to start using Carapils to help out.

I also found out that washing my bottles/glasses with liquid dish soap wash harming it too. I tried scrubbing my glasses in Star San and rinsing them and noticed a slight difference. The last batch I bottled I also scrubbed them in Star San. Hopefully I'll see a big difference.

What else works for head retention?

Would 4 oz be plenty for a brew 4.5-5.8 gals?

Any ingredient with high protein levels, which includes the wheat mentioned above. Oats can also improve head retention - and also adds a slickness to the mouthfeel, which you may or may not want

How about rye? Just made a rye pale last week, and noticed how slimy my grain bag was.

What is a minimal and maximum amount of carapils you'd want to use in a typical 5 gal brew?

Outside of soap/rinse aid residue what hurts/kills the head retention?

Thanks for the articles!

From them I'd have to guess that it's the use of dish soap in my bottles and glassware, which I was recently told was a no-no.

I tried a quick scrubbing of my glasses in my Star San and noticed a slight difference. I'd guess that my rinse job wasn't enough to get rid of the residue from the soap. I scrubbed my bottles with Star San that had been scrubbed with soap before I bottled my last batch. It'll be a while before I can tell if it's the sole culprit.

I generally add 1 lb of wheat DME and use Briess pilsen LME, which contains Carapils. Maybe upping the IBU's would help too as I've been designing them to be at the low end of the spectrum unless it's an IPA, which I go for 70.

1/2 lb...Would that be over 5%?

I've been using the pilsen LME, which really isn't to proper style. Now that I've been given actual numbers as far as the color and sugar content goes I'd like to use their ultralight and pale LME's. But I think I'd also like to go ahead and add Carapils, though I'm not sure I'll need it now that I know better than to use dish soap.

Speaking of not using dish soap...What do the bartenders dip the glasses in to clean them? I used to think he was just being lazy...

With it's being part of 5lbs of grain total & 3-3.3lbs of extract,it's in the 1.042-1.046 range,about 4.92%. .5 of carapils isn't much at all. I forget what the brand name of the bar glass cleaner was. Asked once myself.

Bleach/water mix is more for sanitizing than cleaning. I use PBW to clean with,starsan for sanitizing. Both are by five star chemical. Right tools for the job you know...

Does washing your fermenting vessels with dish soap also kill the head retention?

Does Oxyclean work as well as PBW for cleaning? Is it hard to thoroughly rinse? How much is needed per gal?

I typically use about a 1/2 lb of carapils in my 5.5 gallon batches, which works out to be 5% or less.

Does washing your fermenting vessels with dish soap also kill the head retention?

Does Oxyclean work as well as PBW for cleaning? Is it hard to thoroughly rinse? How much is needed per gal?

Yes, any soap residue will kill head retention or even head formation. You need to thoroughly rinse after washing any glassware, even your bottles. I didn't get mine rinsed well enough and had about 100 beers with no head.

I figured I was rinsing well enough, but my head retention is a bit lacking. There is some, but not as much as there ought to be.

I've finally found a fair amount of carbonation by weighing instead of measuring the sugar. And bringing it closer to proper, whereas I had been purposely undercarbing a bit. So if that portion is about where it needs to be I ought to be getting better head/retention than I am.

I throw 4-8 oz of Carafoam in everything I brew, whether the recipe called for it or not (4 oz for recipes that already have wheat or other head-promoters in them, 8 oz for everything else). No real reason NOT to, IMHO.

Do you think I have sufficient head retention when I empty my glass and still have 3/8" of foam in the bottom and lacing all the way down?

I've been targeting 2.2 volumes of carbonation generally, and so the carbonation is there. But I'm only getting about 1/4-1/2" of head that is nearly gone within 2 mins or so.

What is the difference between carapils and carafoam?

Carapils is malted barley. Carafoam is a chemical additive. Carapils can be steeped,so I'd rather just use.5lb of it rather than a chemical artficial additive.

Carapils is malted barley. Carafoam is a chemical additive. Carapils can be steeped,so I'd rather just use.5lb of it rather than a chemical artficial additive.

carafoam is carapils by another company (weyermann i believe), its not a chemical additive

Is there any reason to choose PBW over Oxyclean? Do they rinse easily enough?

For head retention I use flaked barley. 8 oz in each recipe that doesn't have wheat or carapils already.

Huh???

I thought they were just different trade names for the same thing? I've bought sacks of "CaraFoam", and it's definitely malted barley, just like other crystal malts. I'm not aware of any "chemical additives" associated with it - it's just malted barley that's been modified in a way to maximize its protein content. One company trademarked the term "Carapils," so another company couldn't call theirs the same thing, so they used "Carafoam" (or something like that).

Must've been thinking of another one,my bad. I know there's a powdered one I'm confusing it with. Old age is starting to show. Damnit.

I've seen some kind of oxyfree clone at the cheapy stores in a small tub for a buck now & then. you could lok their if in a pinch & need some. Otherwise,midwest charges %5.50 for a 1lb jar. Pretty good price for me,since I can stretch it for 6-8 months or so. Also,I've noted that 1.5oz per gallon on the PBW cleans & delabels even easier. But still rinses off easy enough.

Back