Carapils in every batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oooFishy

Reaction score
I've started adding .5 lbs of Carapils to my batches with great results. The head on my beer is creamy and beautiful. Is there any reason not to add half a pound of it to every batch?

chill haze? I don't know this personally as all my beers are at least a bit hazy, but I've heard carapils causes haze.

If you're mashing it with 2-row or just about anything with surplus enzymes, it shouldn't give you any starch haze.

It gives dextrine sweetness and adds some smooth body. So, if you want more of that in your beers, go wild. If you're ever going for a light body or a really crisp dry finish you might want to avoid it.

I typically add 4 to 8 oz of Carapils to every batch. I do it more for mouthfeel than head retention.

I haven't noticed any haze problems, but I brew darker beers.

Carapils really doesn't add that much sweetness, and half a pound shouldn't make much of a difference in anything. An exception could be one of those crisp, dry beers Kai mentioned. If that's the case, you can try a little flaked wheat, instead.

I don't regularly use Carapils, so I can't speak about the chill haze. It seems like you can remedy that with the traditional methods, anyhow. Chill haze from the wheat shouldn't be an issue, since you are probably dealing with a lager (and lagering will take care of that haze) or a style where haze is appropriate.

TL

Sometimes you don't want a predominant head, as odd as it sounds. It's really a preference thing. I see it as one more element I can tweak to make each beer unique.

I used half a pound of carapils in my last AG batch and its the haziest beer I've ever made. I did all the usual stuff like Irish Moss, fast chilling - lots of cold break, etc. Tastes great, though. I want to make this recipe again without the carapils.

I'll stick to using a higher mash temp if I want a fuller bodied beer.

What about Carafoam - isn't it optimized to give nice head retention?

I use Carapils with no chill haze:mug:

I crash cool with gelatin and you can not tell a batch with Carapils to a batch without.

I think Carafoam is too - and should be capitalized as I neglected to the first time through.

Hmm, someone set me straight here, please. I thought chill haze was caused by excess proteins in the beer that coagulate slightly when they're chilled, causing the haze; and that starch haze would be constant, not dependent on temperature. How can temperature affect starch haze?

Scimmia said:
Hmm, someone set me straight here, please. I thought chill haze was caused by excess proteins in the beer that coagulate slightly when they're chilled, causing the haze; and that starch haze would be constant, not dependent on temperature. How can temperature affect starch haze?

Correct.

Carapils should not create a starch haze, because it is a is a very pale crystal malt. Crystal malts have been stewed so the starch has been convert to sugar.

I was referring my crash cooling to help with the protein haze issues.

Crash cooling is where you will place the secondary in a fridge at 40 degrees or cooler and give let it sit for a few days. This helps the beer clear up faster. Gelatin is a fining agent which will also help the clarity of the beer. Which works really well
http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=45460&highlight=gelatin

mdd134, I wasn't referring to your posts specifically, I just seem to be kind of confused here. Are people saying that carapils will cause chill haze from proteins or cause starch haze? If it's a chill haze, a single infusion mash wouldn't help, you'd need to do a protein rest, correct? Everything I'd read, though, says that you should mash carapils because it's not all pre-converted like crystal, which would indicate that starch haze is the issue, but then WTF is everyone talking about chill haze for?!?

A little clarification.

CaraPils and Carafoam are competing products from 2 different maltsters that are sold to functionally increase body and foam stability in beer. They do this by increasing the nonfermentable content of the beer thus increasing the final gravity and beer viscosity. They are categorized as "dextrin malts" because they are said to provide these properties through a greater dextrin content in the malt and beer. However, it is questionable whether either of these malts has a true dextrin content any greater than other malts. In the case of CaraPils, the one thing it is, is high in beta-glucans. Thus, it is most likely that the greater viscosity and resulting body and foam stability are due to the higher levels of beta-glucans in the beer. The same maybe true for Carafoam. Both of these malts are recommended at levels around 5% or so and at higher levels do cause filtration problems in larger scale breweries. This would indicate that one can get the same effect as these 2 malts by either using a couple tablespoons of maltodextrin if you truely want "dextrins" enhancing the body and foam of your beer, or a 1/4 lb or so of flaked barley or oats adding beta-glucans. The advantage of using maltodextrins is they will not increase haze and will not cause filtration problems at higher levels.

The question of "chill haze" is one of proteins complexing with tannins or polyphenols in beer. If CaraPils are causing chill haze then the malt used to make CaraPils is only partially modified producing larger segments of protein that solubilize in making beer, but eventually complex with tannins to form haze.

Sorry for long winded post. I don't see anything wrong with using CaraPils or Carafoam, but you need to know what you are getting in these products and how to use them.

Dr Malt :)

Thanks for the informative post, Doctor. It's nice to have good solid facts instead of just WAGs.

This thread has been useful. I'm always trying to get good head for most beers.

Latest posts

Back