Caramel/Crystal 10L Substitute (Brewing Tomorrow)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travestian

Reaction score
A recipe I'm going to make from here calls for 2 lbs of Crystal 10L. I misread and saw the 60 min part of that line as Crystal 60L. So I ordered the wrong thing. I am brewing this in the morning and have no LHBS in my area. In my extra grains I have the following to try and substitute. What would you use? I'm thinking the 0.75 lb of 15L and 0.5 lb of Caravienne.

Type / Amount
Crystal 15L / 0.75 lb
Crystal 40L / 0.5 lb
Crystal 75L / 0.5 lb
CaraMunich / 1 lb
CaraVienne / 1 lb
CaraAmber / 1.5 lb
Special Roast / 1 lb

Use the 40 and 15 at 2/3 of the original amount?

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

Yeah, your idea for subbing darker crystal for the C10 will be fine. I've brewed that recipe three times and I've always subbed out the C10 with C20 to give it a little extra caramel flavor.

Yeah, your idea for subbing darker crystal for the C10 will be fine. I've brewed that recipe three times and I've always subbed out the C10 with C20 to give it a little extra caramel flavor.

Should I go with the full lb of the CaraVienne then? I'm perfectly ok with the slight color shift and more caramel flavor.

Latest posts

Back