Caramel and toffee in oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tberry

Reaction score
Im looking to brew an oatmeal stout, Im trying to get some sweetness (not overly sweet) but I want to feature the subtle taste of a dark Werthers candy flavor. I new to brewing stouts so Im looking for some advice. This will be a 5.5 gal all grain batch.

Thanks

To bring that burnt caramel taste in your beer, you'll be looking to add some seriously high crystal malts, 120 or even 150. British crystal apparently adds a more pronounced and better flavor than american crystal, although I haven't tested myself, so if you can get your hands on that it would be great!

By using a low attenuating yeast (english types in general are relatively low), you'll be able to achieve that somewhat sweet, caramel-y flavor you want. I learned a lot reading (and to some extent testing) about the different crystal malts and what they add to the beer in terms of flavor. Just be sure to balance the recipe according to style if you're not used to brew a good classic oatmeal stout to begin with and you should end up with a pretty good product!

Good luck!

some good advice above. you don't necessarily need to go that heavy to get the flavors you want - carastan will add more of a toffee flavor than briess c80, for instance.

low attenuating english yeast will not only leave some sweetness but will also contribute some diacetyl, which can come across as butterscotch. for a good idea of how this comes through in beer, grab a bottle of fuller's esb. WL002 is the same strain used here.

Great advice! I appreciate your thoughts and recommendations. Im about a week out from Brewnight so Ill put my recipe together and post for further review.

Heres what I came up with, let me know what you think.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.8 %
Bitterness: 24.9 IBUs
Est Color: 31.0 SRM

9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 69.2 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.8 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.8 %