American Amber Ale Caramel Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once wort oxidizes it can't be reversed. Yes, any surplus O2 left behind will boil off, but the damage has already been done before that.

LODO brewers boil their brewing water first to drive off as much dissolved O2 as possible, then chill it down to strike temp. They take measures in every step and process to prevent, or at least limit, any air (O2) exposure as much as possible.

I'm not 100% LODO (yet) but use many of their techniques, wherever I possibly can. In most cases it's just a really small effort of doing things slightly differently. Then once you've done it, you never want to go back. Seeing and understanding where O2 can cause problems and being aware of them is all it takes. Like not splashing hot wort; or not splashing beer into a bottling bucket; or leaving the lid on a fermenter; etc.

If you're interested, LODO has its own subforum here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/forums/lodo-discussion-and-techniques.282/

Thanks I’m definitely gonna look into this Anything to make the brew better. Appreciate it

Ok. Iv never seen this before. I don’t know if it has to do with the syrup I added or what.

I cold crashed at 38F for a week and now I see some kind of separation in the caramel amber

Iv never cold crashed either so I’m a bit inexperienced there
What do y’all think?
IMG_2499.JPG
IMG_2500.JPG
IMG_2501.JPG

Also before the cold crash the bucket I had a blow off tube in was half full of star San. It had a lot. Not there is none but has some sitting up in the tube. Almost like it was sucked into the fermenter?

Never mind. I figured it out. Sucked in all the star San Ruined! ‍♂️
Ouch!!!
That's quite a lot, close to a gallon perhaps?
It maybe just OK... Starsan is deemed to be quite safe for consumption.
Call it Five Star Caramel Amber.
Q: What's the "Five Star" mean?
A: Well, uh... taste some, whatcha think?

I had a quart of Starsan left in a keg once, noticed when the keg was overflowing suddenly. I really couldn't taste it.

Last edited:
Don't dump without at least trying to rack out from underneath the StarSan layer.
Worst case is you end up going through with your plan to dump.
Best case is you end up with 80-85% of the volume of beer you were expecting.

Look at how little 6 ml Starsan concentrate is (the amount used for a gallon WS), most of that is just phosphoric acid.

Don't dump without at least trying to rack out from underneath the StarSan layer.
Oh, nice recovery method! ^

Yeah, you can slowly and carefully rack the beer from underneath the Starsan layer into a bottling bucket. Leave the trub and Starsan behind.
Problem solved!

That’s worth a try. I’ll let y’all know what happens when I do it

That’s worth a try. I’ll let y’all know what happens when I do it
Don't wait too long or shake or agitate the carboy, you don't want it to mix.
Rack or siphon slowly from near the bottom, an inch or so above the trub. If you have a diverter tippy on your cane or siphon, use it. You don't want to disturb the trub or the Starsan layer with a strong vortex. Just get the beer from the middle. You may be able to tilt the carboy slowly toward the last gallon to keep the beer well deeper, but don't be greedy. Be ready to abort the transfer as soon as the beer is getting thin. Having a second set of hands available is always useful.

Brewed this one for the first time last month and after 30 days in primary started drinking it this week. Turned out great. Thank you for the recipe!

SWMBO requested that I make a “non German” beer for other people (her) for the summer-I have been on a Pils/Hefe kick as of late... And this recipe with the home made caramel would give her the chance to participate in its outcome. So I had her make a batch of the syrup, we shot for the 280f version, and I brewed this on the 10th with Wy1056, but scaled back the IBU’s some to ~30 but kept the flameout additions. The smells coming from the airlock were quite good.

I checked it on Sunday morning after a 2 day D rest at 69f and it was down to 1.008 (5.9%) so in the fridge it went to chill, I kegged it last night (the18th) With some gelatin and tasted the hydro sample which I think shows great promise.

Now the hard part-waiting 3-4 weeks for it to mature in the keg before drinking it! It should be a great refreshing summer beer.

Found this recipe googling for caramel taste in beer. Also found that long boils (2 h) or a separate 1 gallon boil of the first wort also gives more caramel taste.

Thinking of doing both: this recipe and a long boil. You think I overdo it?

Found this recipe googling for caramel taste in beer. Also found that long boils (2 h) or a separate 1 gallon boil of the first wort also gives more caramel taste.

Thinking of doing both: this recipe and a long boil. You think I overdo it?
It’s completely unnecessary-follow the original recipe, it’s quite good. Then if you want make changes when you brew again and see if they’re improved enough to warrant the changes.

Brewed this for the third time this morning, but messed up on one part. Forgot to drop the whirlpool hops in at flameout. Didn't realize it until the wort was down to about 70 degrees, so I debated putting them in at that point or waiting and dry hopping... Ended up dropping in at 70. Also, ended up with 1.048 for SG, so a couple points low, had to much starting water and should have done a 90 min boil, but didn't have time so it might end a touch drier but I doubt it'll be noticeable.

I brewed this for the second time and with a few adjustments based on what I had on hand. I went with 3/4 pale malt and 1/4 caramel malt and used a D-45 Candy Syrup. The hops and yeast were to recipe. I only fermented for two weeks and moved it to a keg yesterday. I was a bit worried because my fermentation temperatures varied daily from 63 to 70 F ambient air temperature. But I am already drinking it and it came out good. Thanks for a great recipe!

I brewed this for the second time ...
Update on the beer.
When I transfered, I put the first 4 liters in my 5 liter keg and the rest in my 19 liter keg. I noticed the first keg got a bit of yeast. I would estimate two to three inches of the tube was yeast before the beer started flowing. The larger keg was all beer though. We drank the large keg first and just now started the small keg.
Wow, are they different. The beer without the yeast was a bitter, but rich and full of character. A good beer all around, but I did not particularly notice any caramel flavors though. But the small keg that must have continued fermenting (at low temperatures, circa 45 F.) for another week is far less bitter, almost sweet. It seems an entirely different beer even though it is from the same batch. I will definitely make this one more frequently.

Looking at brewing an iteration of this beer. Over all the pages, the hops being too strong kept coming up. The way it stands, this recipe has FWH addition and a flameout addition. To help with the bitterness, what if the hop additions were split up a bit more...

Columbus FWH
Chinook @ 20 min
Chinook & Willamette @ FO

I'm thinking 30-35 IBUs as opposed to the 40..

Thoughts?

This is what I'm thinking thus far...

Title: Caramel Amber Ale

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Amber Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 18 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 18.75 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.043
Efficiency: 80% (ending kettle)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 0.97

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 5.42%
IBU (tinseth): 33.89
SRM (morey): 16.12
Mash pH: 5.52

FERMENTABLES:
23 lb - Pale 2-Row (74.2%)
2.5 lb - Caramel / Crystal 40L (8.1%)
3 lb - Invert Sugar No 3 - (late boil kettle addition) (9.7%)
2.5 lb - Crystal Dark (8.1%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: First Wort, IBU: 26.88
1 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 7.01
3 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Aroma for 0 min
3 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Aroma for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 9.5 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.35 qt/lb

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 55 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Anyone who's made the sugar successfully, how much does 1 quart of the stuff weigh? Is the 1 quart that the sugar recipe produces 1 lb? I'm needing to triple the amount in the recipe due to batch size so trying to figure out how much of the ingredients I need...

Disregard - original post states to use half of the recipe for the sugar, so I need to do 1.5x.

Anyone who's made the sugar successfully, how much does 1 quart of the stuff weigh? Is the 1 quart that the sugar recipe produces 1 lb? I'm needing to triple the amount in the recipe due to batch size so trying to figure out how much of the ingredients I need...

Disregard - original post states to use half of the recipe for the sugar, so I need to do 1.5x.
I've made those syrups in @SnickASaurusRex's linked thread many times. But it took a few times to get it right. Patience is virtue: the longer it simmers at the right temp without becoming dark too fast, the more complex and better the results. You want the color to darken ever so gradually.

My first 2 batches were way too dark, due to letting the temp rise too fast. You can always add a tablespoon (or 2) of cold water to keep the right temp, preventing premature darkening. Once it tips, you can't step back, and may end up on your pancakes for the next few years. ;)

I'd start with half a batch (using 1 pound of sugar) to get the hang of it. ;)
While it's slowly simmering, drip a few drops onto a piece of aluminum foil, to judge progress of color and after they cooled, it's flavor.

Oh, and don't stir the syrup with a plastic spoon or plastic spatula, it will slowly melt. ;)

I've made those syrups in @SnickASaurusRex's linked thread many times. But it took a few times to get it right. Patience is virtue: the longer it simmers at the right temp without becoming dark to fast, the more complex and better the results. You want the color to darken ever so gradually.

My first 2 batches were way too dark, due to letting the temp rise too fast. You can always add a tablespoon (or 2) of cold water to keep the right temp, preventing premature darkening. Once it tips, you can't step back, and may end up on your pancakes for the next few years. ;)

I'd start with half a batch (using 1 pound of sugar) to get the hang of it. ;)
While it's slowly simmering, drip a few drops onto a piece of aluminum foil, to judge progress of color and after they cooled, it's flavor.

Oh, and don't stir the syrup with a plastic spoon or plastic spatula, it will slowly melt. ;)
Good info man. Appreciate it. I’m Brewing this soon so not sure if I’ll have much time for a test batch.
How long should it simmer at 290?

I’m Brewing this soon so not sure if I’ll have much time for a test batch.
I wasn't hinting at making a test batch of beer, only making a test batch of your intended syrup. You can do that a day (or longer) before the brew.

How long should it simmer at 290?
It should be at a low simmer on very low heat, it will be bubbling a bit, and a crust of sugar crystals will form on the side. Temp should rise about 10 degrees F per 10 minutes. If it goes much faster, add a half to one tablespoon of water (per pound of sugar) to cool it down a little while it gives something extra to evaporate. The balance of water and sugar determines the boiling temp of the mixture.
Aim at about 30-45' to get from 250-290F.

Once you reach 290F, it's should be done, since that's the final temp for that Deep Amber syrup.

It helps to put a drop at various times/temps on a piece of aluminum foil so you can compare, and see where it's going. That's why doing a (smaller) test batch ahead of time is not luxury. If that goes well, then you can add it to the beer too. Nothing lost.

I also scrape the crystals off the sides and add them back into to syrup, twice, about halfway through and toward the very end of the process, using a stainless spoon.

A narrower/taller pot is better than a wider one. The heavier and thicker the bottom the more dispersed and even heating.
I've been successful using a 4 qt enameled cast iron Dutch oven, which sadly is bit wider than ideal, but the large mass makes up for it, keeping the heat very even.

I wasn't hinting at making a test batch of beer, only making a test batch of your intended syrup. You can do that a day (or longer) before the brew.

It should be at a low simmer on very low heat, it will be bubbling a bit, and a crust of sugar crystals will form on the side. Temp should rise about 10 degrees F per 10 minutes. If it goes much faster, add a half to one tablespoon of water (per pound of sugar) to cool it down a little while it gives something extra to evaporate. The balance of water and sugar determines the boiling temp of the mixture.
Aim at about 30-45' to get from 250-290F.

Once you reach 290F, it's should be done, since that's the final temp for that Deep Amber syrup.

It helps to put a drop at various times/temps on a piece of aluminum foil so you can compare, and see where it's going. That's why doing a (smaller) test batch ahead of time is not luxury. If that goes well, then you can add it to the beer too. Nothing lost.

I also scrape the crystals off the sides and add them back into to syrup, twice, about halfway through and toward the very end of the process, using a stainless spoon.

A narrower/taller pot is better than a wider one. The heavier and thicker the bottom the more dispersed and even heating.
I've been successful using a 4 qt enameled cast iron Dutch oven, which sadly is bit wider than ideal, but the large mass makes up for it, keeping the heat very even.

Sorry, yeah, I knew you were referring to a test batch of the syrup. We have quite a busy schedule for the next week or so. But maybe I can squeeze it in.

So it doesn't have to simmer at 290F for any period of time. You just want it to get there slowly is all?

As far as scraping the crystals back in, do you only do that twice because you're not supposed to stir this while it's going?

So it doesn't have to simmer at 290F for any period of time. You just want it to get there slowly is all?
Yes, that's the idea! @SnickASaurusRex's instructions imply that, it's just not said explicitly.

Also read his instructions for Sugar #5, it's the 290F Deep Amber, cooked twice. Mind the slightly extra amount of the DAP ingredient too.
I think it's all about the extra time it spends at the higher temps, without burning it.

My first attempt came out way too dark, and acrid. The second also became too dark but was appetizing. They only got better once I kept the temp spot on, rising slowly ever so slowly (using a better thermometer, later, the Thermapen). After a few successful batches the thermometer became almost obsolete as I started to recognize the various tell tales in the process. Similarly as our good old friend Harriet (from Pine Bluff, Arkansas) when she taught us to make nougat, especially Pecan Nougat (of course): No, a little longer... not quite, keep going... going... going... Now whip the crap out of it!!!

As far as scraping the crystals back in, do you only do that twice because you're not supposed to stir this while it's going?
Exactly! I don't think stirring ruins it, but it's really not needed. It may turn out better leaving it alone. I'm quite sure you can just scrape/push the crystals that form on the side downward into the syrup more often.

On a side note, I've been making syrups using boiled down wort instead of water. It adds another dimension, more Belgian-y maybe?

Although they're different, generally I prefer my own "Candi Syrups" over the commercial product. My "D-90" substitute (or anything lower) is a breeze. Making something like D-240 is difficult though...

This is what I'm thinking thus far...

Title: Caramel Amber Ale

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Amber Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 18 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 18.75 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.043
Efficiency: 80% (ending kettle)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 0.97

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 5.42%
IBU (tinseth): 33.89
SRM (morey): 16.12
Mash pH: 5.52

FERMENTABLES:
23 lb - Pale 2-Row (74.2%)
2.5 lb - Caramel / Crystal 40L (8.1%)
3 lb - Invert Sugar No 3 - (late boil kettle addition) (9.7%)
2.5 lb - Crystal Dark (8.1%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: First Wort, IBU: 26.88
1 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 7.01
3 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Aroma for 0 min
3 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Aroma for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 9.5 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.35 qt/lb

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 55 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

👍👍
Good lookin' recipe, especially the hops selection.

Amber Ales are a sorely under appreciated beer category. I get the whole trend away from "anything caramel" as being too cloyingly sweet, yada, yada. This recipe makes me want to go brew it yesterday. There's gonna' be some 'sweet' in there but the Columbus and Chinook will tame it down. And the Willamette should add another dimension to the caramel. Did I mention I really like caramel? Yummm....

👍👍
Good lookin' recipe, especially the hops selection.

Amber Ales are a sorely under appreciated beer category. I get the whole trend away from "anything caramel" as being too cloyingly sweet, yada, yada. This recipe makes me want to go brew it yesterday. There's gonna' be some 'sweet' in there but the Columbus and Chinook will tame it down. And the Willamette should add another dimension to the caramel. Did I mention I really like caramel? Yummm....
Thanks man. It's the OP's recipe, I just tweaked it a little bit for my tastes. Hopefully it comes out as I'm hoping!!

I'm with you, I love caramel! I'm super excited for this one. Just hope I don't screw up the syrup. I'm picking up 3 packs of the D-45 syrup just in case I screw it up and I need a back up.

Thanks man. It's the OP's recipe, I just tweaked it a little bit for my tastes. Hopefully it comes out as I'm hoping!!

I'm with you, I love caramel! I'm super excited for this one. Just hope I don't screw up the syrup. I'm picking up 3 packs of the D-45 syrup just in case I screw it up and I need a back up.
I saw that syrup recipe and realized that I've got two D-45 packs stored in the beer fridge. Then I saw this thread and just knew I was gonna brew it.

Just hope I don't screw up the syrup. I'm picking up 3 packs of the D-45 syrup just in case I screw it up and I need a back up.
It's difficult to screw up... with all the instructions and some common sense.

D-45 is pretty light, more like a "Medium Amber (280)" perhaps?

https://brulosophy.com/2016/03/14/belgian-candi-syrup-homemade-vs-commercial-exbeeriment-results/
Scroll to the very bottom of his article where he outlines how he made the 2 syrups, and illustrates how each compare to D-45 and D90, respectively.
He used 1 pound of D-45 and 2 pounds of D-90 in his "Belgian Amber."
That's interesting... The 90 looks more like what people are making for this recipe, but the OP states to use 40 SRM in the recipe builders, so I assumed D-45 would be the closest option...

Made our syrup tonight. I think it came out good! Because we bought the D45 as backup, we were pretty careful. Overall took like an hour and a half to do. Here’s our samples. Not quite every 10 degrees but close.

8DD6A2C4-7585-419F-AA13-64207DDAAAD7.jpeg

Another question here - we missed a step because I handed it over to my wife while I put our son down and my instructions weren't very clear.

We missed the 240F step after adding the water back in. How important is that "soft ball" step?

And I shouldn't even say we MISSED it, we added the water back in at the end of the 290F step but instead of getting it to 240, once that was mixed in, it went right into an ice bath. How important is that step?

Back