Carafa III and Fermentability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merkinman

Reaction score
I brewed a split batch that became black IPA (o.g. 1.062) and Schwarzbier (o.g. 1.055) some months ago.

10 lbs Munich II
9 lbs Pilsener
1 lb Carafa III (an additional pound in sparge)
1 lb Carapils

Single infusion mash @ 150

The IPA was fermented with Nottingham, and the Schwarzbier with Sa 34/70.

Both quit right around 1.020. I repitched different yeast into the IPA, and it didn't move.

I ended up drinking the IPA (it was alright), but the Schwarzbier is just sitting in the keg not getting attention because it is just too sweet. Calling it a Baltic Porter has helped some, but not really. :(

I know I used way too much Carafa III, and am starting to think that had something to do with the fermentability of the wort. I am thinking about taking the beer out of the keg and repitching some brett to see if I can get it down any more, but know this would be futile if there are no fermentable sugars available.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, or experiences like this that may help?

I've been working on making a black IPA (extarct with grains) using carafa III and from my brewing software it estimates my O.G is about 1.069 and final gravity around 1.018 so I don't think your numbers will fall much more than that.

merkinman said:
I brewed a split batch that became black IPA (o.g. 1.062) and Schwarzbier (o.g. 1.055) some months ago.

10 lbs Munich II
9 lbs Pilsener
1 lb Carafa III (an additional pound in sparge)
1 lb Carapils

Single infusion mash @ 150

The IPA was fermented with Nottingham, and the Schwarzbier with Sa 34/70.

Both quit right around 1.020. I repitched different yeast into the IPA, and it didn't move.

I ended up drinking the IPA (it was alright), but the Schwarzbier is just sitting in the keg not getting attention because it is just too sweet. Calling it a Baltic Porter has helped some, but not really. :(

I know I used way too much Carafa III, and am starting to think that had something to do with the fermentability of the wort. I am thinking about taking the beer out of the keg and repitching some brett to see if I can get it down any more, but know this would be futile if there are no fermentable sugars available.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, or experiences like this that may help?

Can you post the whole recipe on her cause after using the grain bill you have given your final gravity should be around 1.018 which isn't too far from what you have

That was the whole grain bill that I posted. If you want to see hops, procedure, etc., you can read more here: http://yourfavoritesucks.blogspot.com/2011/02/schwarzbier-nasferatu-black-hearted-ale.html

Even if it did get as low as 1.018 (which after checking again, I see it did), that is still less than 70% attenuation. If different brewing softwares are predicting at fg of 1.018, that leads me to believe that Carafa leaves more unfermentables in the wort than other specialty grains, which is the piece of information for which I seek. If there are not any available sugars left, it would not make sense to pull it out and dose it with brett.

Still, if someone else has a similar experience using too much carafa or can otherwise speak to its unfermentability, your input would be valuable.

:mug:

Back