Capping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
[I posted this question in the cider forum, but I wasn't sure if it might be more appropriate here.]

If I get some cider on the lip of the 12-ounce bottle when filling it, before capping the bottle, should I:
  • Wipe the lip off with a paper towel?
  • Wipe the lip off with a paper towel soaked in sanitizing solution?
  • Leave it alone and cap right over the wet rim?

I'm also planning on capping some wine bottles until I decide if I am getting into this hobby enough to buy a corker. Does the answer change if I am capping wine instead of cider? (I will be using Martinelli's cider bottles, which can be capped.)

I've bottled a lot of beer and I have never wiped a rim and I am positive that there have been times that a drop or two here and there have hit the rim.

That being said.....it really matters what you think and what you are comfortable with. I do things (especially when it comes to sanitation) that others claim to be unnecessary and a total waste of time. But, it makes me feel better and it rules some things out when it comes time to troubleshoot a problem. My philosophy is, it is impossible to overdo sanitation. That is unless the result causes an off flavor, or a health hazard to humans or a blatant unjustifiable cost.

If I was going to wipe a rim.....I would do it with a papertowel soaked in star san.

Hope this helps

Me too, however my bottles come out of a iced water bath and are wet anyway.

Qualifier: Ice frozen in sterile containers immersed into the water with my bottles.

Latest posts

Back