Capping Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
I'm having a hell of a time getting the bottle types that have less space between the mouth ridge and the lower ridge (bottle type on your right side in the picture) to properly cap. Anyone else run into this? If so, is there a solution that will allow me to use these bottles? Sorry for the sideways pic!
Cheers!

IMG_2168.jpg

yes, your hand capper, red barron, blue whatever will have issues with those since it does not have enough room on the lug

The only solution is to get a bench capper..

A capper will last a life time, or more. My Mom and Dad were capping beer with this capper in the 50's and I'm still using it today.
Beer%20capper_zps48x8notb.jpg

I tried the nickel as a spacer. It does seem to be a bit better of a crimp. Bottling tomorrow. I'll try a few with the nickel and see how they turn out. I'll have to put a bench capper on my wish list!

A capper will last a life time, or more. My Mom and Dad were capping beer with this capper in the 50's and I'm still using it today.
Beer%20capper_zps48x8notb.jpg

The old-fashioned all metal ones, like the one in your picture, last forever. The newer ones with the plastic heads don't last at all. They still make all metal ones, but they're pricier. Or look on Craigslist, eBay etc.

I vote for a bench capper as well. I have a wing capper for those times when I don't want to drag out the bench capper, but honestly, I never use it. The bench capper takes up about the same footprint on the shelf and just works better for all bottles. They are super handy for the money.

I own 2 old metal ones. They don't fail. (Unless your young one decide to REALLY reef on that handle when capping thinner bottles!)

This is the very old bench capper that I have. I've never used it. Seems like a piece must be missing where the cap would go (second pic). I tried it on a bottle just to see if it worked and nothing, no crimping at all.

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

I vote for a bench capper as well. I have a wing capper for those times when I don't want to drag out the bench capper, but honestly, I never use it. The bench capper takes up about the same footprint on the shelf and just works better for all bottles. They are super handy for the money.

I own 2 old metal ones. They don't fail. (Unless your young one decide to REALLY reef on that handle when capping thinner bottles!)
Mine takes up a bit of room with the plywood base but the base makes bottling go very fast, I can crank with one hand and get the next bottle ready with the other.

Aside from the nostalgia of using the same tools my Father did it is just very satisfying for me to bottle beer. My son kegs and I agree it's easier and not that expensive to set up but I love to see the kitchen counter filled with capped bottles.

Back