Can't use my chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hercher

Reaction score
Brewed a pale ale today, on a very cold Sunday (below freezing). I brew outside (actually, in my uninsulated garage). Unfortunately, my water line at the outside spigot was frozen, so I couldn't use my immersion wort chiller. I don't have an adapter to hook a hose up to the kitchen sink. So I'm just waiting for the wort to cool down on its own. I have it covered, and it isn't windy. How big is my danger of infection? It's been sitting out there nearly two hours now, and has dropped to about 110.

I figure I'll go ahead and transfer into a carboy at about 80, and pitch the yeast, which is somewhat warmer than I would ordinarily like. But my thought is if I can get the yeast going, I can reduce the chances of contamination.

Some peopel actually cool that way, as long as everything is sanatized you should be fine

Yeah, you should have no worries - you're essentially doing no-chill brewing. Be careful, it could become a habit - it has for me.

Yeah, you should have no worries - you're essentially doing no-chill brewing. Be careful, it could become a habit - it has for me.

Yeah, just take a few minutes and read about no-chill. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like an interesting idea. Might not have a choice this time, eh?

Just scroll down a bit in this (General Techniques) forum and on this page you'll see two threads with No-Chill in the title.

It was down to the mid to upper 70's when I pitched the yeast. I ferment in my basement, which is fairly cool (low 60's). It may wind up more estery than I like, but should still be ok.

I use a keg as a boiling kettle. I had nothing to place it into for an ice bath that would have been significantly colder than the 28 degree weather outside.

Thanks for all the responses everybody. I'll post a note on how it turns out.

Back