Can't tell if this is mold or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamuptonogood93

Reaction score
Hello and happy new year to all!
I started my 1st ever kombucha brew 7 days ago. Noticed this on the surface of the pellicle yesterday when checking on it. I know mold is typically dry and fuzzy. This is dry, not fuzzy. It's got a strange color to it tho... Being a 1st time brewer I guess I don't really trust my own judgement on this. Thoughts?
IMG_20221231_210741__01.jpg

They look like yeast rafts, not mold.
How did you start this batch, did you use a scoby or something else?

Oh okay, thanks! Yes, I used a scoby I bought on Amazon. I appreciate your feedback 🙏 The color was throwing me off
Ah, I didn't know you could buy them there. ;)
Was the scoby wet, sealed in a plastic bag with some kombucha or so?

How big is it, and how big is the batch? Hard to tell from the picture.

Ah, I didn't know you could buy them there. ;)
Was the scoby wet, sealed in a plastic bag with some kombucha or so?

How big is it, and how big is the batch? Hard to tell from the picture.
Yup :) The brand is Fermentaholics if you're interested. It came sealed within a seal with 12 ounces of starter fluid. About $14
It was pretty small, probably about the size of a bar of soap? The batch is 2 gallons.
Just had a taste. Taste like apples for some reason. I wonder if thats from the start fluid? Its a bit on the sweet side so will probably let it ferment for another couple days :rock:

Latest posts

Back