Can't seem to get the carbonation right (keg)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MakoMadness

Reaction score
So I read a bunch of different ways to carb in a keg on the site. I decided from all that to leave it in the fidge on CO2 at 10 psi. Left it in there for 6 days and beer was still pretty flat. So I took it out and tried to force carb. Pumped up the psi to 30 and rocked back and forth for about 15 min. Could hear the CO2 going in as it was being absorbed. After I dialed back the psi back to 10 and put back in the fridge. Tested 24 hours later, depressurized then set at 4-5 psi. Beer came out very foamy, big soda sized bubbles, yet when I tasted still seemed pretty flat.

So what have I done wrong, what can I do to fix it and how should I do it differently next time?

One thing I did read and thought about trying next time was 30 psi in fridge for a couple days. I dont mind waiting and I'd rather not force carb if it means smaller more professional bubbles.

I use the 2 week 'set and forget' carbonation method. Simply put it to the serving pressure, at serving temperature, to get the CO2 volumes desired and leave it ALONE until at least TWO WEEKS has passed.

Chart to use to figure out the PSI to set the keg(s) to at temperature...

I've sometimes gone three weeks before pouring a pint... Another case where you were simply too impatient and now have to correct the effects of what you did to rapid force carbonate... IMO, that has too many pitfalls in it. I'm patient enough, and have enough on tap, to let new kegs have the time needed to get the proper carbonation level.

Get yourself a carbonating stone for next time. You can set and forget and have PERFECTLY carbed beer in 2 days, 3 max

Get yourself a carbonating stone for next time. You can set and forget and have PERFECTLY carbed beer in 2 days, 3 max

That seems to be the ticket. I too have gone through trying times getting the beer to carbonate properly. I don't brew enough to wait 2-3 weeks to let it carb up. Think I'll have to check into one of those carbonating stones. They sound like the perfect fix.

I was thinking about a carb stone but wanted to try without first so I wouldnt be wasting money. Do you leave yours in after the beer is carbed while serving, or do u have one of the corny lids that u change out once it's carbed?

Also without using a stone, and just leaving it in the fridge, should the CO2 be connected to the "out" side so that it's being introduced at the bottom of the keg? Read mixed views on it, some say that this can cause beer to go back into your regulator but I don't see how if CO2 is constantly pressuring the lines.

I have my carb stones attached to a piece of tubing that stretches from the gas in tube to the bottom of the keg and I do leave them in the beer.

When you clean the keg afterwards, let the stone soak in pbw for a bit, attached the gas to the keg and let it blow out slowly as you run rinse water over the stone. When it runs clear, the stone is clean. Let it soak in whatever sanitizer you like and then blow a little gas through it again to make sure it is clear. I would say it adds about 5 minutes to keg cleaning time, max. Oh yeah, I am leaving the tube connected to the gas in during this time. Pretty much, once I have the thing installed, it stays there until I do a total breakdown on the keg. The cleaning method I use pretty much mirrors the way I have always cleaned carb stones at the commercial level.

I got the stones and tubing through AHS, total cost was about $17 for each stone and 2" piece of tubing. I use the .5 micon stones.

I force carb all my beer at 30psi for 24 hours. Then drop to 12psi and after a day or so it's perfect for me with minimal waiting. But, that's just how I do it.

I force carb all my beer at 30psi for 24 hours. Then drop to 12psi and after a day or so it's perfect for me with minimal waiting. But, that's just how I do it.

I get that that method can work, when I first started home kegging I did the high pressure thing too... my issue with it is that I have three taps and a single regulator. Rather than hook/unhook gas on other kegs and have to turn pressure up and down, spend more on triple regulator, etc., it just makes sense for ease of use and $ to put the stones in the keg, set serving pressure and walk away... actually since the stones are already installed now and the pressure is set and has not been touched in 6 months, I just connect the gas, walk away and 48 hours later, happy beer!

Whutever said:

+1 on this method. Only difference is I typically do 45PSI for 24 hrs at 35F the back off to about 15-20PSI for 24 hrs depending on how it's doing. After that I vent and put at serving pressure. I actually really like the feel on carb I get from this method.

+1 on this method. Only difference is I typically do 45PSI for 24 hrs at 35F the back off to about 15-20PSI for 24 hrs depending on how it's doing. After that I vent and put at serving pressure. I actually really like the feel on carb I get from this method.

Seems like a LOT of hassle compared to set and forget with a stone... Also, I get a very smooth carbonation that actually reminds me A LOT of what I was getting using spundig on a commercial tank.

I set my pressure to 18 for a week, then purge and dial it down to 10-12. I never shake it.
Works great.
There's a sticky in the kegging/bottling forum which explains force carb methods.

30psi for about 36hrs, then to serving. seems fine for me.

Watch out for slow leaks on the keg/connections.

I set mine at 25 psi for about 36 hours, then down to serving pressure and wait one more day. I've had pretty good results with that.

I also have one regulator for two kegs. I have **** off valves for both kegs after the regulator and the other keg still has enough pressure to serve my beer needs even without being hooked up to the CO2 tank.

MakoMadness said:
So I read a bunch of different ways to carb in a keg on the site. I decided from all that to leave it in the fidge on CO2 at 10 psi. Left it in there for 6 days and beer was still pretty flat. So I took it out and tried to force carb. Pumped up the psi to 30 and rocked back and forth for about 15 min. Could hear the CO2 going in as it was being absorbed. After I dialed back the psi back to 10 and put back in the fridge. Tested 24 hours later, depressurized then set at 4-5 psi. Beer came out very foamy, big soda sized bubbles, yet when I tasted still seemed pretty flat.

So what have I done wrong, what can I do to fix it and how should I do it differently next time?

One thing I did read and thought about trying next time was 30 psi in fridge for a couple days. I dont mind waiting and I'd rather not force carb if it means smaller more professional bubbles.

What kind of serving limes and faucets do you have?

At the moment I just got a 3-4' serving line with a picnic tap - part of a kegging kit, I do have a chest freezer I've been meaning to convert but just havnt had the time.

I have my carb stones attached to a piece of tubing that stretches from the gas in tube to the bottom of the keg and I do leave them in the beer.

When you clean the keg afterwards, let the stone soak in pbw for a bit, attached the gas to the keg and let it blow out slowly as you run rinse water over the stone. When it runs clear, the stone is clean. Let it soak in whatever sanitizer you like and then blow a little gas through it again to make sure it is clear. I would say it adds about 5 minutes to keg cleaning time, max. Oh yeah, I am leaving the tube connected to the gas in during this time. Pretty much, once I have the thing installed, it stays there until I do a total breakdown on the keg. The cleaning method I use pretty much mirrors the way I have always cleaned carb stones at the commercial level.

I got the stones and tubing through AHS, total cost was about $17 for each stone and 2" piece of tubing. I use the .5 micon stones.

First off thanks for all the advice on the stones and cleaning. It was a great point on using the stones since once I have the freezer set up I'll have multiple kegs connected. But now when connecting to the "in" tube do you have the stone sit just under the top of the beer in the keg or do you have it sit on/near the bottom? In your post u said u put it on bottom but u also said u only used 2" of tubing. Figured u need the stone in the beer to carb but once carbed would having the stone near the bottom cause the beer to get over carbed over time as the beer gets served?

First off thanks for all the advice on the stones and cleaning. It was a great point on using the stones since once I have the freezer set up I'll have multiple kegs connected. But now when connecting to the "in" tube do you have the stone sit just under the top of the beer in the keg or do you have it sit on/near the bottom? In your post u said u put it on bottom but u also said u only used 2" of tubing. Figured u need the stone in the beer to carb but once carbed would having the stone near the bottom cause the beer to get over carbed over time as the beer gets served?

Holy Spinal Tap Batman!

No, that was supposed to be 2'! TWO FEET! LOL Sorry! Yes... two feet of hose puts the stone at the bottom of the keg so that the gas flows up through the beer... I had less than four hours of sleep last night and that one went right by me!

...depressurized then set at 4-5 psi. Beer came out very foamy, big soda sized bubbles

There was a thread on here talking about too low of serving pressure will cause foam. I had way more foam when I had the pressure at like 8psi. Then cranked it to 12psi and never looked back.

It I set it at 12psi it will take 2 weeks to get the carb level right.

Back