Can't miss beer joints in Kansas City...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drives_a_bike

Reaction score
I'm headed to Kansas City, MO on April 21st for 3 weeks. I'll be semi-busy with work stuff during the week, but the weekends are a party. Where do I need to go? What must I not miss???

I already have a Unfiltered Tour booked at Boulevard, so there's that. And the power and light district sounds obnoxious to me.

I'm thinking BBQ and beer.

And, GO!

I believe its in the power and light district but you should check out The Flying Saucer Draught Emporium. They have an extensive collection of beers. They even bring in random specialties by the keg at different times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

If you are near down town, try 75th street brewery for a local microbrew. And for barbeque, try Aurthor Bryants, Oklahoma Joes, or Jack Stack. If you are out by the legends, try Yardhouse (100 or so beers on tap) and great food. There's a great local burger joint on the plaza, Blanc Burgers and Bottles that has unique and great burgers along with plenty of bottled micro brews.

Cool and thank you! I'm staying in Overland Park...so, after last weekends news sounds terrifying to my wife, but I'm not worried, haha.

I'm down for whatever, I'll have my car with me.

KC is my hometown. So let's start with BBQ.

Gates off 12th and brooklyn, downtown KC. It looks sketchy, but it's not bad. Just go during the day. That's the original location. Best BBQ you'll ever have.

Arthur Bryant's, downtown KC also. Delicious as well. Just google it. Also very sketchy, but safe. Cops eat there all the time.

Jack Stack BBQ, google it. It's in a nicer area. I actually had this BBQ cater my wedding. Freakin amazing beans also.

Beer places:

Anton's Tap House. It's near the P&L district, but farther south in the crossroads district. Awesome selection.

Flying saucer is good, but a little too close to P&L for my taste. But to each their own.

75th st brewery is a must. That place rocks. Technically in waldo, but if you're in Overland Park that shouldn't be too bad of a drive.

The beer selection is sparse, BUT 54th Street Bar & Grill has the best nachos in town.

Theres also a new place that just got put up. KC Bier Company. http://kcbier.com/ - I can;t comment on this place. I haven't had the chance to go there yet. But some friends of mine actually invested in it. They say it's pretty awesome.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. That's all I could think of off the top of my head. Feel free to PM me about any of this if you want. I will help you have an awesome time in KC. I love my hometown :).

If you're staying in Overland Park, you can go to the Gate's at 103rd and State Line, same food, better neighborhood. Also, I highly recommend Oklahoma Joe's, there's a location in KCK, but the lines there get pretty long, so you're better of going to the one in Leawood which is right next to Overland Park.

Jack Stack at 95th and Metcalf is good, as is Haywards at College Blvd and Antioch. There's a copule of chain breweries out in OP around 119th St, the names slip me at the moment that are sometimes OK.

Tell your wife not to worry too much about coming to OP. I've lived here for 35 years, and it's always been a rather bland, boring suburban community. On the rare instance we make the news, it's because someone from somewhere else drops by and starts some trouble, like the b@stard this last weekend. The cops here generally don't have much to do, so they'll be all pumped up and vigilent while you're here.

Have a good time!

Aw come on lol. I love the gates downtown. It's ghetto as **** but I love it. It may be in my head but I think the original's food is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you're going to venture north at all, there are several new breweries up in North KC and Liberty. Rock and Run is in Liberty, with Big Rip and Cinder Block in North KC.

You could spend the entire day in the Waldo district and have plenty of great beer places to go to. 75th Street Brewery, Kc Bier Co. (new brewery that makes German style beers, Bier station (great beers on tap plus they have tons of bottles that you can purchase to drink there or take with you.
Eat at Waldo Pizza for amazing pizza and an awsome beer selection.
For BBQ you must eat at Oklahoma Joes!!!!!!

Be sure to post what you've been to while you're there. I'll live vicariously through you lol. I miss my hometown a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Chappell's restaurant & bar on Armour Blvd in north KC. Has been a nationally top-ranked sports bar for years. Full of original sports memorabilia.

I've been so lame since getting here. Turns out my work stuff is a lot more demanding...homework every night and loads of studying.

Went to Jack Stack off Metcalf on Friday...OH MY GOD!!! Loved it! Even bought some of their hot BBQ sauce to bring home. Planning on Oklahoma Joes on Friday, followed by Boulevard and 75th St. brewery on Saturday. Lucky for me another guy I'm in class with brews beer, so he's super pumped for Saturday. Just drinking some Great Divide and Laguanitas while doing homework tonight.

Also picked up a few bottles for the cellar. Some Ommegang, and couple bottles of Old Guardian

I was also just told the Power and Light District is in the plans for saturday night.

Went Oklahoma Joes for lunch yesterday...good stuff, but I still liked Jack Stack better. Hit up 75th Street Brewery after lunch and had a flight of everything they offer. It was good, but nothing outstanding. Took the tour at Boulevard today, it was cool, but it's pretty much just being lead through the brewery and watching videos on the brewing process...kinda disappointing.

Stopped at The Peanut in Overland Park for lunch...they might make some of the best hot wings I've ever had. Nom nom nom

Back