Can't Keep Yeast of Glass!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zionoraca

Reaction score
Hello all,
I brewed a Belgian 7.2%abv. It has been bottle conditioning for 2 months in 700ml and 375ml bottles with corks. It was in secondary for 1 month. I do want to let them age longer but I have a tried a few. This was the first time I added more yeast at bottling time. When I pour the first little bit is fine. After halfway no matter how slow I pour I stir up all the yeast and the beer becomes very bitter. I have poured 2 large and 2 small bottles. Will yeast eventually stick better to the bottom? I also am conditioning at room temp and then cooling in refrigerator for a few hours before drinking. Would letting sit in fridge a few days before drinking help? The beer is a little hazy but after bout half way it looks like and unfiltered wheat! Any thoughts on this? I have never had problems pouring bottled homebrew before. Will waiting longer help?

Thanks

It's probably from adding more yeast? Why did you do that ? Corn sugar would have carbed it right up, but your gonna have that sediment anyway with bottles, there's no way around it.

Yes, waiting longer will help. Also, more time in the refrigerator before drinking will help solidify the yeast on the bottom.

No need to add yeast to a 7% beer unless you filtered it.

Keep the beer in the fridge for at least a week before you drink it. The yeast will settle down and become less mobile the longer you keep it in the fridge.

You need to chill the beer longer in the fridge. Just like cold crashing your fermenter, in order for the yeast to really cake onto the bottom of the bottle it needs a couple of days at least.

Agreed. "A few hours" is not nearly long enough, put one in the back of the fridge and forget about it for at least a week. A lot of Belgian strains are slow to flocculate, it'll drop down to the bottom eventually though! :mug:

Latest posts

Back