Can't get bottles clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
M having a hell of a time getting some of my bottles clean, there is some film type stuff stuck to the bottom and sides, I've soaked them in hot water and oxyclean free for a few days and used bottle brush, most comes off but there's still some that stays on. I've also tried PBW and still not working.

I was thinking about boiling the bottles but didnt know if that would help losen up the gunk, or if it would be bad for the bottles.

If anyone has any ideas how I can clean them I would really appreciate the input

You need one of these. Use it before you soak and then use it to rinse.

Jet-Carboy-bottle-washer-th.jpg

Solid brass washer that attaches to a garden hose. The kitchen sink adapter can be added to allow the unit to attach directly to most sinks. The Jet washer has an automatic shutoff valve. It focuses a powerful stream of water from your faucet or garden hose into carboys or bottles.

Austin Homebrew Supply

I'm using one of those bottle washers, is there something I can soak my bottles in that will loosen up the gunk that's stuck in side? Maybe a bleach or something stronger?

Mix a solution of 2 oz. of PBW to 1 gallon of hot water. Let dissolve completely and then soak overnight. If after doing this and rinsing with the jet there is still crud on the bottom, I recommend tossing the bottle.

Pick up some fresh Sierra Nevada, drink the beer, rinse promptly and you will have free and clean bottles.

When in that bind I used cascade dish washer soap, at a high concentration in hot water, let it soak a day, then the bottle brush did the rest.

Bleach worked for me for stuff that Oxyclean didn't take care if. Another option is TSP from a paint store.. powerful stuff.. easy to rinse out. Follow with a vinegar solution to help clean and neutralize the bases of TSP or Oxyclean. Then a final water rinse

Just don't let TSP get into your septic system if you have one.
It works great, but it's banned from household products because it kills septic systems.
BTW, TSP is great for washing bugs off the front of your car.....

We call it scale, it's really common, it's just residue from the oxyclean as the water it's soaking in evaporates or reacting with minerals in the water. Usually a weak acid solution like vinegar and water, lemon juice and water, even a dillution of starsan and water usually breaks it down. Then lots of rinsing.

OxiClean is much worse about leaving that film than PBW. Try soaking in the PBW solution as recommended in post #4 above, then follow up with acid rinse (vinegar or StarSan).

Best way to deal with gunk inside the bottle is to rinse it out right after you pour. The gunk is soft and easily rinsed out. If you wait for it to dry and harden, it is like cement and takes a lot of work to dislodge.

I rinse after pouring then run the bottles through a Sanitize cycle in the dishwasher with no soap. I get a slight ring at the top at the liquid and air line. I suspect it is kreusen residue from the bottling fermentation. It doesn't seem to affect anything. '

Ran into the same issue trying to use bottles that were in storage for a while. Soaked in Oxy and brushed the hell out of them, with poor results. So, I went out and bought bottles at the LHBS for .50 a piece. Well worth the peace of mind.

Put a few drops of undiluted starsan in the bottle, and scrub the hell out of it with a bottle brush till you smell phosphoric acid. Rinse well. The gunk will be gone, I guarantee it.

In this case an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Rinse your bottles thoroughly after you drink a beer, check with your eye to make sure the yeast is gone, and you are all set.

I never even have to scrub my bottles like this. Just a quick rinse in starsan, and they are ready.

i did some expiramenting tonigh, i filled 4 bottle with hot water, put oxiclean in one, starsan in one, dish soap in one, and bleach in one. The bottle soaked in bleach was by far the best, its does a really good job.

I have a similar problem. With Oxyclean Free soak and that jet bottle washer, I still have crap.

Going to try this: Austin Homebrew Supply

I ended up getting this. It's pretty cool for bottles, but it's REALLY hard to get it into some bottles...particularly the EZ Cap bottles. They seem to have a thinner diameter opening. For normal bottles, it'll go in...still a little tough.

However, this thing is amazing for cleaning my 2L erlenmeyer flask. I've always soaked my flask and there would still be some gunk. This thing makes short work of cleaning my starter flask.

Back