Cant get a hold of Campden tablets. Is Potassium metabisulfite the same thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdemon

Reaction score
to treat my water before brewing to get rid of the "Band-Aid" problem im trying to find campden tablets. They are out of stock everywhere here in sweden but they have something called "Potassium metabisulfite" and the explanation says that its the same as campden powder even though campden tablets are e223(Sodium metabisulfite) and this Potassium metabisulfite is e224.

For the elimination of chlorine and chloramines both work near instantly. The K-meta is arguably preferable as it will not add any unwanted Na+ to the mash like Na-meta will

You're in good shape with the K-metabisulphate

Don't give it another thought.

For the elimination of chlorine and chloramines both work near instantly. The K-meta is arguably preferable as it will not add any unwanted Na+ to the mash like Na-meta will

Thanks! Ill order it right away!

hmm, do I have to add it about 24h before mashing? reading in forums it seems that some people just add it right before mashing...

I think the 24hr thing is mostly if you are using it for it's anti-microbial properties. For instance preparing fruit puree for a secondary addition, things like that. I don't think it hurts to do it as early in the process as possible but I wouldn't wait a day to mash in.

I think the 24hr thing is mostly if you are using it for it's anti-microbial properties. For instance preparing fruit puree for a secondary addition, things like that. I don't think it hurts to do it as early in the process as possible but I wouldn't wait a day to mash in.

So if the purpose is to get rid of chloramine i can probably just add it an hour before or so? Its powdered and not in tablet so that probably helps it dissolve faster aswell...

I just recently started using Camden to treat my water after finding out my water profile isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was. This saves me lots of money in the water department, as I would fill 20 gallons of RO water at a time and build from there. My water Calc says that the Na is high after use, but it doesn't affect the overall flavor of my beer IMO (read that RO water and treated tap produce same quality beer).

I'll use the Camden just before the mash. Order the K-meta, and brew away!

hmm, do I have to add it about 24h before mashing? reading in forums it seems that some people just add it right before mashing...

No. It works instantly to eliminate chloramines and chlorine

Yep, it's instantaneous. Add it just before you heat your water, and stir well.

Keep in mind that 1/4 teaspoon is equal to 6 campden tablets, and for a small batch you only need like 1/2 campden tablet or less- so make sure you have a way to measure such tiny amounts.

Keep in mind that 1/4 teaspoon is equal to 6 campden tablets, and for a small batch you only need like 1/2 campden tablet or less- so make sure you have a way to measure such tiny amounts.

definitely keep this in mind. 1 tablet treats 20 gallons of water. I crush 1/4 tab in each 5 gallon fill up.

Thaks guys!
My kitchen scale starts at 1 gram so i hope i can use that...

Latest posts

Back