Can't figure out my problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crocks86

Reaction score
I don't want to go into a crazy amount of detail (unless people want it), but I've been having trouble lately getting consistent good tasting brews. My main concerns are contamination, chloramines, or hot side aeration.

I've been getting varying degrees of astringency, a little medincal flavour, or a generally dirty/hard to define off flavour. This varies from beer to beer but the astringency is the main serious flaw. I generally hear high sparge pH, high sparge temp, or excess grain material in the boil will cause that but all those things are in check (I think) in my process. I check the mash and sparge pH, mash is usually 5.2-5.4 at room temp, sparge hasn't been above 5.8. I filter in the tun with a braided ss hose, then at the end of the run off hose with a nylon bag (just tried with on my last 2 brews because grain in the boil was on my mind as the source of astringency). My sparge temp is generally aimed at 170F, and I batch sparge. I've tried colder temps to see if it changed anything, and it didn't.

These off tasting brews have been a big range of styles, and a range of intensity of these off flavours. I have a pils (95% pilsner, 5% carapils, magnum for bittering, Tettnanger for flavour/aroma, to 32 IBU) that just came from primary now in cold conditioning, it doesn't have much of an actual bitterness, but instead is fairly astringent and still slightly sweet even though it's at the F.G I was going for (1.010 from 1.048). Also did a Baltic porter with a pretty medicinal taste, odd thing was I did a "Baltic Mild" from the last gallon of the runnings of that batch (1.035 with 13 or so IBU) since I slightly overshot the efficiency and it tasted fine. I rebrewed this recipe this past weekend and it tasted slightly astringent going into the fermentor but we'll see how that goes.

Basically I think my process rules out tannins for astringency, and the mild coming out tasting much better than the porter should rule out the chloramines (although I've since started using campden tablets but only on one brew so far). Everyone seems pretty adamant that HSA isn't an issue, I do stir quite a bit while chilling though. Could this be doing it? The beers generally taste fine while fermenting and at the 2 or 3 week mark when the yeast have settled down and I transfer to a keg they usually go south fast.

Only other thing I'm considering is contamination. But I've had bad and good beers in two different fermentors in a period of a few months, so this doesn't make much sense to me. Also, the F.G is pretty much always bang on what I'm aiming for, and there is no sourness in any of these beers.

Is it possible that HSA and/or chloramines could be responsible for the various degrees of off flavours depending on the given recipe? This is all I can figure, but I'm still waiting on the fermentation to finish up on my rebrew of the baltic porter where I was very careful with aeration and used campden tablets.

Sorry for a bit of a long post. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

Chloramines are a possibility. It sounds like you are taking care of the pH, which would be my first guess for astringency.

I wouldn't worry about HSA. Charlie Bambforth, a beer scientist, has said in podcast that it's not necessarily a myth, but the affect of it on homebrew is so minimal that people should be focusing on oxidation in packaging rather than dealing with HSA. In short, don't worry about it. General good brewing practices should suffice to keep it at bay.

I'd see what your beer is like after using Campden tabs. Unless there is something terribly wrong with you salt additions (a crazy lot of gypsum, for instance) then I suspect you will see an improvement. Also check what yeast you commonly use, or hops. It's possible you are averse to one of them.

And of course your equipment can play a role in flavors. Check to see if you have the wrong kind of plastic for hot liquids, rubber things that can leach flavors, items like spigots that can hold onto bacteria even though they've been flushed (always take them apart and clean them GOOD!) However, i doubt an infection is going to show up that quickly. In general the yeast do most of the heavy work in a few days leaving the bacteria to take weeks to show up.

Get some camden tablets or some potassium metabisulfate (essentially the same thing).

If the issue is chloramines, this will resolve it.

I sincerely doubt the issue is HSA.

You covered a lot of ground in the initial post. I would think about the ingredients and equipment as well as the your process.

Some brewers don't worry much about equipment sanitation prior to boil. Could something be lingering in the HLT or MT that affects your product? Where is the grain sourced from? How is it stored prior to use? Then more toward the process... How long is your typical rest? Some bacteria, present even before mash in, can develop precursors in the mash that produce astringent tastes in your finished beer, even without an active infection following your boil. So maybe take a look at grain handling or even an equipment infection on the pre-boil side of your setup.

Campden will fix your problem if it is chlorophenols. Your in-process batch should tell you a lot.

Are you measuring pH with a freshly calibrated pH meter, or are you using strips? Everyone who has tested strips vs. a meter agrees that strips don't give good readings.

Do you have a ball valve on your boil kettle? If so take it apart and clean it well. Stuff can build up in there that will cause problems.

Good luck.

Brew on :mug:

What is your water profile, and how are you testing the PH?
Are you adding any minerals to the water?

Thanks for the responses. I think I can rule out specific ingredients. I don't want to write up the details of every batch but I've used several different yeasts with a handful of different hops with the same results, also with a large range of grain bills.

My water profile details are:
Alkalinity: 14
Hardness: 20
pH: 7.5
Calcium: 8
Chloride: 15
Sodium: 7
Sulphate: 1

I've tried everything from the baseline from the water tutorial on here to Tastys IPA profile and everything in between. I use a pH meter and calibrate every time I use it, I've made fresh buffers multiple times as well to make sure they're still good. I use the recommended amounts of 88% lactic acid to adjust pH.

After a couple of brews had this issue I replaced all the plumbing components in my mash tun and gave the ball valve and thermometer in the brew pot a good cleaning, I rinse everything with hot water immediately after use and then soak in PBW when I can get a chance. I don't have any plastic in use in the mash besides the cooler it's self and the gasket that came with it, my hose for hot side stuff is silicone.

I would be confident about the chloramines being the issue if it wasn't for the fact that I've had a few really good brews, and like I said in the original post I had one that was run off from the same batch as the medicinal tasting baltic porter that tasted fine. I guess it could possibly affect things differently depending on gravity? More grain= more phenols= more chlorophenols. I'm not sure if chloramine use would vary at different points in the year? I know a lot of other aspects of the water itself can fluctuate with the seasons.

If the campden tablets don't fix it I'm going to try a BIAB and see what happens there. See if I can rule out some sort of mash tun preboil infection. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

I know my beers have varied in how much off-flavor I've gotten from the chloramines. Sometimes it wasn't noticeable, and other times it was awful.

Could it be possible that there are things in your water that could cause a problem but isn't listed on your report? Something from the plumbing?

I would be tempted to try some polyclar to rule out POLYphenols. In addition, confirm your final pH is under 4.5. Good luck!

There shouldn't be any issues in the plumbing in the house if that's what you mean. The house is only 10 years old, I can't see there being any major issues. Could definitely be wrong though, there have been other things wrong with this place that I shouldn't have had to worry about.

But, if others have had variable effects from the chloramines I'm thinking it's a good chance that's my issue. Unfortunately I assumed chloramine would be listed on the water report itself (now I guess the listing of ammonia would be the give away there), but had to go and read a write up on the water treatment to see that it was used. Could have had this sorted out ages ago. My beers have pretty much been hit and miss for the better part of a year and I kept changing other things, assuming my mash pH wasn't right, bought new fermentors to see if it was a contamination issue, blaming mash tun plumbing etc. It was only this last batch that had the blatant medicinal taste and it clicked. The others just tasted off and I couldn't quite put my finger on the exact issue besides some astringency. I'll taste my baltic porter that's fermenting now tonight and see how it goes.

Is there any estimate of the amount of time it takes for chlorophenol flavours to develop? And also is there a possibility extract beers are less affected? Like I said above, it's usually just as the yeast are starting to flocc that the flavour goes downhill, most of these beers have tasted awesome at the ~7-10 day mark, and then terrible by the time they've carbed up, and I've made a couple of small experimental extract brews that have been great.

Maybe the polyclar is worth a try. I don't always test the finished pH but the beers that I have tested have been in the right range. I will pay closer attention to that on future brews though.

Last edited:
I would be confident about the chloramines being the issue if it wasn't for the fact that I've had a few really good brews, and like I said in the original post I had one that was run off from the same batch as the medicinal tasting baltic porter that tasted fine. I guess it could possibly affect things differently depending on gravity? More grain= more phenols= more chlorophenols. I'm not sure if chloramine use would vary at different points in the year? I know a lot of other aspects of the water itself can fluctuate with the seasons.

Municipalities definitely vary the amount of chloramine in the water supply at different times... not just seasonally either but at irregular times as well. In my previous city, the water could go from just fine to swimming-pool in a day and then back again next week. It could be that you brewed some good ones without chlorophenol issues during those low chloramine times...

I personally use 100% municipal tap water but run it through a charcoal filter and then dose with a small amount of k-metabisulphite as well. Works fine for me.

Maybe try that or get some distilled water to see if you can rule out the issue there.

So, not great news. I tasted the Baltic porter and it's fairly astringent, but no medicine. I can taste a nice beer in there but it's just ruined by this astringency. Getting quite frustrated. Maybe it'll fade, it probably won't but I can still hope.

You keg it yet or hydro sample? Curious if a little baking soda helps. Did you add any alkalinity when brewing?

It's not yet kegged, only on day 7 in primary. I used baking soda and a little chalk in the mash (I know the chalk doesn't completely dissolve but figured some is better than none, and I'm not sure I can get slaked lime here). Maybe I'll try adding more baking soda if the flavour doesn't improve.

Really wish I knew what was causing this, I have my wedding coming up next month and wanted to have lots of beer around for that week and it's looking less and less likely that I'll having anything worth sharing.

Back