Can't figure out biab decoction!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCasey1992

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a Bavarian hefe tomorrow and am also planning on making it my first ever decoction but am having a difficult time on figuring it out.

I plan to use the following mash schedule that I found on the web:

Average 2-step method

1. Strike temperature of 53C, stir well and rest for 20'
  2. Stir and take 1/3 of the mash. (If you use a large proportion of unmalted grains you can take less of the mash and add water and dry crushed grains to make up 1/3 of the total volume). Heat to 72C, rest for 20' (malt) to 40' (malt+grains).
  3. Bring to boil and boil for 15-30'
  4. Add back to reach a temperature of 65-67C, rest 15-35'
  5. Take 1/4 of the mash, boil for 15-30'
  6. Add back to reach a temperature of 70-73C, rest until saccharification is complete (30'-1h).
  7. No mash-out, start sparge immediately.

Given that this is for traditional all grain, I am confused on how to make this work for a BIAB setup. Can anybody provide any insight into how this would work and possibly show me how to make this mash schedule work for BIAB?

As always, you guys rock!

Thank you,
Casey

Works just the same way in BIAB as in a regular mash system. You'll need a 2nd kettle (can be smaller) to perform your decoctions, while your BIAB kettle stays warm.

For decoction scoop out the thicker part of the mash. Use a large colander or strainer. The decoction portion should be quite thick, not much wort on top, just loose enough so you can stir it while heating to the next step, and ultimately to a boil. Just be careful to heat it slowly enough and stir well, scraping the bottom while bringing the hotter mash from the bottom to the top so it doesn't scorch!

All you really need is a second pot. Pull some of the grain out of your BIAB pot, boil it in another pot, then add it back in.

Have you done a regular decoction before?

The reason I ask is because you can miss a rest temperature kind of easy until your experience level is up.

not everyone does but a lot do.

I have to admit that certain styles of beer just seem to taste right if you do one. I used to do them all the time in a regular 3 vessel mash set up.

In BIAB I usually do a step infusion instead, just because it is a bit less messy.

But it is not really any different from the 3 vessel method, just pull the grains and boil then return everything.

Good luck, decoctions are fun

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. Regarding the amount of grains to decoct, how do you guys calculate that?

Typically a third of the thick portion (mostly grist) for each decoction. Just estimate (or weigh it). It's not that critical.

I have a link to a wheat decoction schedule in the "Recipes" drop down under my avatar. It's a 3 1/2 hour process...

Back