can't decide-r

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoobrew

Reaction score
So pressed some apples at a friends orchard last fall and got a couple gallons take home. Did a quick 'pasteurization' and fermented w/ champagne yeast. Racked some out to taste, it went dry, but was very drinkable when back sweetened on the fly with fresh pressed.
Well I went back out and did the last of the apples a few weeks later. Ended up being strapped for time so I didn't heat the booty from this press... I just ended up adding it on top of the first fermented cider i hadn't finished racking. Let this ferment for a month before checking in on it. At the time it had a very minor white-ish infection. It smelled OK, actually quite nice, no off smells, so I didn't have the heart to throw it out.
Well another 2 months has gone by and I just checked it... there was definitely a thin off white/gray layer over the entire top. Still smells like cider, no off notes. Spent about 2 minutes and strained all the stuff off the top (in case i decide to rack to growlers/bombers)

So if anyone makes it through all that and can tell what happened to my cider or what kind of infection it is that would be swell. I guess in all reality I don't necessarily care what type of infection it is but more so if it is dangerous to consume (given the taste is ok)? I mean there is nothing but pressed whole apples (and worms :drunk:) that fermented, can this stuff kill me? or is the worst case scenario I spend a day on the porcelain throne?

It will not kill you or make you sick (unless you go overboard and drink it all at one time :D). I doubt it is an infection; probably just renewed fermentation.

So here's a few pics I snapped along the way...

Looking into the bucket, the layer was solid until I had to wrestle the lid off...

IMGP1067.jpg

a closer shot with some of the edge in view

IMGP1065.jpg

and this is what she looks like after a couple minutes fishing around with strainer

IMGP1069.jpg

Back