Can't Balance Ion and pH in Bru'n Water for Belgian Golden Strong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpierce2

Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry for the length, I put my data here, hoping someone can help. Making a Belgian Golden Strong tomorrow, and I can't get the ions to balance in my finalized Mashing Water Profile (Row 13, Bru'n Water, Water Adjustment tab) and give my the proper pH (looking for 5.4 or slightly less). It seems I can have one or the other, but not both. Can anyone help or is this not a concern? Am I misunderstanding the science somehow?

here is the grain bill I am going with:

- 18 lb Pilsner Malt, ~1.7 Lovibond
- 1 lb Munich, ~7 Lovibond
- 1 lb Aromatic, ~4 Lovibond
- 1 lb Wheat malt, ~1.9 Lovibond
- 2 lb cane sugar, 0 Lovibond

Total Mash Volume between all the steps will be 8 gallons (cell J17 in BW)

Here is my water report (Chicago)

http://www.cityofchicago.org/conten...rQltyResultsNRpts/ccReports/CCA_2015_1-2Q.pdf

Using 2Q results from the Jardine Plant in ppm

pH: 7.8
Ca: 36.3
Mg: 12.3
Na: 9.8
K: 1.3
Fe: 0
Total Alk as CaCO3: 105
Bicarbonate (calc'ed in Bru'nwater): 127.3
Carbonate: 0.4
S04: 27.4
Cl: 17
NO3: 0.3
NO2: 0.2
F: 0.9

For my desired water profile I saw a lot of variation in what people did for alkalinity/bicarbonate between Palmer's Water book (recommending 0-40 alkalinity for strong, pale, moderate), trappist profiles in Bru'n Water, and online stuff, so I decided just to stick with the 105/127 alk/bicarb I already have.

Finished desired profile

Ca: 70
Mg: 12 (same as existing)
Na: 10 (same as existing)
SO4: 60
Cl: 55
Bicarb: 128

This gets me 4.9/4.9 balance and green cells in Bru'n Water User Custom. Yay! Playing with the gypsum and CaCl additions (also 0% dilution), i find that adding 0.25 grams/gal of each nets me

Ca: 75.4
Mg: 12
Na: 10
SO4: 64.3
Cl: 59.2
Bicarb: 128

Ok, close enough, but my calcuated pH is 5.81!!! So I need some Lactic Acid for the mash. 0.80 mL/gal gets me to 5.4. Yay!

But now this changed my mashing water profile Bicarbonate to -19.7 and my profile is

Ca: 75.4
Mg: 12
Na: 10
SO4: 64.3
Cl: 59.2
Bicarb: -19.7.

Putting that into the user custom now gets me cation/anion balance of 5.2/2.7...AHHHH!!! But my pH is dead on at 5.4.

So what am I missing? Which is more important? the ion balance or the pH? Or yes? How do I achieve both with a pale beer and soft water, or does it not matter?

I assume you are using the free version. It does not account for the acid anions taking the place of the neutralized bicarbonate anions. It is only an accounting error. The water is actually balanced. Don't worry about it. pH is the primary concern and it sounds like you have reached that point.

Back