Candi Syrup... Use *after* fermentation has ceased?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macewank

Reaction score
Hey HBT, need some advice/info.

I've got a Belgian Dark Strong that's been sitting in the primary for a couple of weeks and I haven't had a chance to add the 2 1LB packs of D-90 I bought for it. (brewers neglect is a terrible thing, btw)

I've finally got some time to pull stuff out and mess with it, so I'm planning to add it this evening.

Will the yeast kick up and go after it, or am I screwed?

The yeast should like it just fine. I haven't added candy syrup later like this before, but when I tried it once with sugar crystals in a cider the thing foamed up like crazy, so add it slowly and carefully. And, obviously, sanitation and all that.

cool cool. what's done is done! added 1lb of D-90 to the BDS and for giggles threw 1lb of D-180 into my RIS. the RIS was a little under on gravity, should be interesting.

thanks for the re-assurance :)

You can add fermentable sugars at any time, as long as there's yeast alive, they'll eat it. It's the same science that let's yeast carbonate the beer in bottles because you've added a (small amount of) sugar.

Back