Canadian looking to brew for the first time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrollsBeer

Reaction score
So I got a 2 Gallon beginners beer kit for Christmas.

I am wondering how much Hops, Barley and Grain I would need to make my first batch of beer? and where can I buy these ingredients online?

Also what advice can you give me an up an comer?

What is the oddest but most tasteful craft beer you have tried?

Welcome aboard TrollsBeer. I think you will enjoy the new hobby VERY MUCH!!

How Much Ingredients
As far as your how much Hops, Barley and Grain question this is really a loaded questions because there are so many different recipes out there.

There is a few different ways to brew beer.

All Grain-The use of raw grains as the primary source of malt sugars in a brewing session, as opposed to the use of malt extracts. Since all-grain brewing requires mashing and sparging, it is considered the "advanced" form of homebrewing.

Partial Mash-Is a combination of the 2 other styles, In most cases you use extract as your base and then use specialty grains as add in's.

Extract-Making beer from malt extract syrup or powder as opposed to unprocessed malt (which is used in all-grain brewing).

Here is a great link to some recipes that you can follow depending on the style of beer you want. Recipie Link

Where to buy-

I would first search around you for any LHBS-Local Home Brew Store, it is always best to support local stores!!

However there are a lot of great places to buy ingredients online here are a few-

Northern Brewer
Midwest Supplies
More Beer

Advice

The best advice I can give you is be patient, read a lot of these threads and enjoy it. Brewing is a time of peace and doing something you love, if you ask everyone here why do you brew? The answer will be the same- Because we love beer and the beer community. Oh and lastly Challenge Beer think outside the box and do something that hasn't been done before, BE CREATIVE!

The oddest Beer

Not too Odd but the other day I had a mikkeller 1000 ibu if you're not sure on this beer just know IBU is the measurement of bitterness (International Bittering Units) and your avrage IPA is about 50-70 IBU's. This beer has 1,000 IBU'S it was great, I am pretty sure after so many IBU'S you cant taste a difference.

Well with all of that said I wish you good luck and if you ever have a questions please read through the forum and if it has not been asked, ASK it.

Welcome to the obsession. :mug: Let us know where you are located and we can probably direct you to home brew clubs and shops more local to you.
As for learning this craft/hobby, reading and asking questions on this forum is a very good way to learn. Also, How to Brew by John Palmer is a valuable resource. See here http://www.howtobrew.com/

I'd recommend talking to your nearest homebrew shop. Many of them have started assembling ingredient kits that work for 2-gallon equipment kits.

Back