Can you take the sediment from 5 or so home-brews and pitch that to a 5 gal batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
Can you take the sediment from 5 or so home-brews and pitch that to a 5 gal batch?

Just wondering...
tag.. if so we can confiscate the yeast form snpa and others...

I am not sure on your question I think you are asking whether or not you can propagate enough yeast from the sediment in a bottle to pitch in to a new batch? With your ultimate goal being to harvest yeast from Sierra Nevada pale ale?

If I have you right then yes you can. However something to be aware of is that The yeast used to bottle condition a commercial beer is not always the same strain used to ferment the beer initially.

I am not sure on your question I think you are asking whether or not you can propagate enough yeast from the sediment in a bottle to pitch in to a new batch? With your ultimate goal being to harvest yeast from Sierra Nevada pale ale?

If I have you right then yes you can. However something to be aware of is that The yeast used to bottle condition a commercial beer is not always the same strain used to ferment the beer initially.

I see the concern here....

i've never seen yeast in sierra

That is because they only put just the right amount to give proper carbonation. They have it down to a science. It is really just a dusting usually. If you swirl some water in there after emptying the beer you will see it.

Back