Can you recommend an oxygenation setup for < $100 budget?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I've got temp control tackled so next up is oxygenation. I currently use one of those drill paddle things. I'd like to upgrade to an aquarium pump or actual O2 system.

I really don't know where to start to look. Any suggestions?

I use one from Williams Brewing. The stone is mounted on a wand which allows you to push it to the bottom of the carboy. I tried the aquarium pump. O2 works better. You only have to run it for a minute.

I used this for awhile. I like the SS rod, makes it easier to control and keep the stone where you want it. Get a <$10 oxy tank and you're in business well within budget.

I recently splurged and bought this regulator to use with the wand, along with a welding O2 tank. I was sick of having no control over the flow rate, and being at risk of having the little red tank run out of gas in the middle of using it. Only used this on one batch so far, but I was happy with it.

The williams brewing one is def worth it, the wand makes it so much easier

I grabbed a full medical oxygen tank on craigslist for $40 with a regulator. I just run a length of 3/16" ID beer line to a 1/4" flare fitting screwed onto a 0.5 micron stainless diffusion stone. Total cost was less than $60.

I went with the one from Northern Brewer and added .25 inch cooper line.

aearate.jpg

I went with the one from Northern Brewer and added .25 inch cooper line.

Is thinking about doing something similar, but putting the stainless steel rod, or copper in your case directly into the plastic tubing. Anyone see any unforseen problems with this idea?

Back