Can you make Gooseberry wine without adding water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steffeeh

Reaction score
I have 10kg's of gooseberries. Can I press them and make wine from the pure must without adding any water (recipes online tend to have a 2:1 ratio water and gooseberries) or will it become too concentrated?

EDIT: To clarify, I'm making a gooseberry and elderflower wine that in the end will age for some time. I aim for it to have some sweetness and some acidity (pH 3.6 during fermentation, then possibly lower in the end if needed for better flavour) to balance it out, and I want a more intense flavour so I'm a bit thrown off by seeing all of the recipes calling for a lot of water added to the batch, since I thought in winemaking you squeeze fruits/berries and ferment it (long story short) :p

Last edited:
Most berries need water (black currant needs a lot of it) to bring the acid content down to drinkable levels, or have it be sweet enough to balance. I’ve never had a goose berry, and I’m not allowed to grow them either.

Latest posts

Back