Can you leave beer in the fermenter too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBaloo

Reaction score
Life tends to get in the way and my fermentation schedule seems to suffer. Does it matter much if I ferment for 4 to 6 weeks in place of 2?

Thanks, I am thinking it should not matter much as long as fermentation kicked off well. But looking for the opinion of wiser ones here.

At 4-6 weeks, you're probably fine. But once attenuation has finished, off flavors have been cleaned up, and the beer has cleared well enough, there's no reason to delay packaging. Eventually, yeast will autolyze enough to cause issues. And there are fatty acids in the trub that can be converted to soap.

4-6 weeks you're totally fine. I Oaked a strong ale for 6 months in the primary by accident one time and it came out great.

It's all fine as long as the fermenter is sealed (preserving CO2 in headspace), the temperature does not drop (avoiding O2 incursion), and you keep your airlock filled.

It's all fine as long as the fermenter is sealed (preserving CO2 in headspace), the temperature does not drop (avoiding O2 incursion), and you keep your airlock filled.

It's important to keep the airlock filled, but I'll add that O2 can and does move into a fermenter through a filled airlock when when there is no "wind" from active fermentation. The airlock does slow it down though.

I, for various reasons, have wound up leaving beer in the fermenter for up to 6 months with no noticible ill effect. Just make sure you don't let the airlock evaporate or, of course, its gonna spoil.

Thanks guys... I guess I could have included that it is a session scotch ale. so thinking the extra time in the fermenter would be good for the style....

Thanks guys... I guess I could have included that it is a session scotch ale. so thinking the extra time in the fermenter would be good for the style....

Hmmm. I can't think of any reason a beer whose attenuation is finished, whose off flavors have been cleaned up. and whose clarity is acceptable would benefit from any extra time in the fermenter (i.e. sitting on trub). What is it about the style that makes you think it would?

I agree with vikeman. No need to wait on any ale, IMO. Drinking them right when they're ready gives the freshest, best tasting ales.

Back