Can you guys recommend five highly aromatic/flavourful US hops to do SMASH with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have been thinking of experimenting with SMaSH brews (using either german pale ale malt or 100% munich malt I from weyermann). I don't know what hops to go for though.
These are the ones that come to my mind (to achieve nice flavour/aromas in a brew...and I have used these hops but mixing with other hops):
-centennial
-citra
-chinook (maybe even nugget.....)
-citra
-cascade

Any thoughts on this?
I really like Doggie Style and Punk IPA. Eventually I'd like to have enough knowledge of these hops to be able to mix them and get something similarly nice.

mosaic is currently my favorite hop (subject to change without notice)
amarillo
i could see nelson sauvin (spelling prob wrong) going well with that malt bill
cascade
Falconer's flight 7 c's (not sure if you could call it a smash though)

mosaic is currently my favorite hop (subject to change without notice)
amarillo
i could see nelson sauvin (spelling prob wrong) going well with that malt bill
cascade
Falconer's flight 7 c's (not sure if you could call it a smash though)

Nelson Sauvin isn't a US hop.

Also +1 for Mosaic. I did a SMaSH of it and Marris Otter that ended up actually winning a competition. It's such a great hop.

Centennial is used in a few big name IPAs, and as has been stated, Bell's Two-Hearted is 100% Centennial.

I am not a fan of Mosaic. I had Founder's Mosaic Promise, a SMaSH with Mosaic and Golden Promise malt, and I did not care much for it.

El Dorado, Citra, Amarillo, Mosaic, Equinox. Hell, put them all in the same beer and it will be f'in awesome! Equinox will be available to your LHBS by the end of the month

Your list looks good as is. You're right to do citra twice, I love that hop. Centennial is my favorite on it's own, but with a little citra it's unstoppable!

Citra is great! I was gifted more than a pound of it from a guy who hated it. I'm starting to get tired of it, but that's because I've been drinking quite a lot of it lately!

Actually, I should make a SMaSH with it and see what it's like all by itself. I've been using it with other hops.

El Dorado with Maris Otter made a great SMaSH for me. Another vote for Amarillo and Simcoe. Falconer's Flight would be an interesting brew too.

I started using magnum in the boil and was very happy with the results (along with my regulars)

although I did an APA with only simcoe and was pleasantly surprised

I've done a Simcoe and a Chinook Smash recently. Both were outstanding. I have an Equinox Smash kegged right now and if I were to use Equinox again it would be paired with 1-2 other hops.

Tell me about your experience with Nugget. That was going to be my next brew.

Nugget is listed on some sites as a Chinook substitute. My experience is limited (due to the fact I always use it for bittering), but it has a really pleasant spicy smell. I really wanna try to brew SMaSH out of it.

I am also waiting for the poster to give us his opinion. :)

I've done a Simcoe and a Chinook Smash recently. Both were outstanding. I have an Equinox Smash kegged right now and if I were to use Equinox again it would be paired with 1-2 other hops.

Why is that? Why do you wanna pair Equinox? Not good in a SMaSH?

Why is that? Why do you wanna pair Equinox? Not good in a SMaSH?

Equinox Smash was about 30% pineapple, 30% orange, and 40% green bell pepper, which can be mistaken for mint(according to my friends taste buds). It is definitely good and unique, but I would prefer those flavors overall to make up maybe 50% of the flavor.

I kind of feel like Equinox would be a good side-kick type hop, let something else be batman.

Another +1 for Mosaic, I use them a lot in my IPA. It's a derivative of Simcoe. Very clean, great aroma, good for dry hopping.

Chinook is my favorite right now, and I would definitely like to try Falconer's Flight and Simcoe as SMASH beers. Warrior is pretty nice too, surprised it hasn't come up yet.

Tell me about your experience with Nugget. That was going to be my next brew.

Hard to describe. It was definitely different. It was still good and I liked it, but would rank it as average of the brews I have done.

Nugget is described as herbal and spicy.

In the pale ales I have done though I have done a lot American Pale ales with a lot of citrus flavor from the hops I use, so I guess that is the difference in comparison.

Hard to describe. It was definitely different. It was still good and I liked it, but would rank it as average of the brews I have done.

Nugget is described as herbal and spicy.

In the pale ales I have done though I have done a lot American Pale ales with a lot of citrus flavor from the hops I use, so I guess that is the difference in comparison.

I did a smash with Va grown nugget. They smelled woodsy or spicy in the bag, but we're very weak for flavor/aroma in the beer.

I'm going to put in a good word here for the floral-type hops. Mt Hood is a good one. Crystal is very subtle an unusually sweet. It can't stand up to Munich malt, but is good with pale or pilsner.

I've done Citra and cascade. I like Cascade better in a single hop beer. Both were IPA, and both had different water profiles, so I wasn't comparing apples to apples.
So never mind....

I have thought about Legacy. It is supposed to pair well with the C hops. It would be interesting to do a Maris SMaSH with it. Then, if desirable start adding hops. Starting with a dry hop. Devide Secondary between 2-3 fermentors. Legacy, chinook, CLZ for example.

Back