Can you grow new yeast into more before picthing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finsfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was just reading a thread about washing yeast and i had a thought. Could you take a new packet of wyeast and make a large starter, separate these into 4-5 jars, and then use each in another starter to pitch into one 5 gallon batch? Therefore, you would have 4-5 batches with fresh yeast, plus 4-5 other batches with each yeast cake each of those will make. Let me know if you have any experience in this or if it is just ridiculous and Im way off track here

That's how I did it. I used the bought yeast for a large starter (1 L), used 100 mL of that for my beer and froze the rest in 40 mL aliquots. I also used a yeast cake from one of my beers as source for a frozen stock. Just make sure you keep it clean and store at the proper temperature depending on how long you want to keep the yeast. There are several very good threads about banking yeast!

So I was just reading a thread about washing yeast and i had a thought. Could you take a new packet of wyeast and make a large starter, separate these into 4-5 jars, and then use each in another starter to pitch into one 5 gallon batch? Therefore, you would have 4-5 batches with fresh yeast, plus 4-5 other batches with each yeast cake each of those will make. Let me know if you have any experience in this or if it is just ridiculous and Im way off track here

What you are talking about I have heard referred to as yeast ranching.

http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/2011/01/yeast-harvesting-ranching-and-starters.html

I take a little of the starter each time and refill the white labs tube. I am probably on 7th generation this year.

This is what I do. I also just use sanitizing solution (I don't boil my mason jars, just clean them thoroughly before each use and sanitize with a spritzer). Haven't had any problems so far. After about the 2nd or 3rd generation, I go to my LHBS, which usually has expired yeast for $1 and then simply re-do the process.

I wish i had a more Local HBS, closet one is 2 hours from here, so ive never been to it haha I just figured it seemed weird to wait until after you fermented a beer and then start dividing and multiplying yeast but all i have seen is posts on how to wash yeast. obviously "ranching" is different and apparently is what i was asking about initially

I take a little of the starter each time and refill the white labs tube. I am probably on 7th generation this year.

This is what I do also! If I need say a 1 liter starter for my beer I make a 1.25 or 1.50 liter starter instead and I fill the white labs tube up with the starter yeast then I pitch the rest into the beer. Works like a champ! I've probably got 6 or 8 tubes of different stains ready to go at any given time :rockin:

Back