Can you fix gushers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butler

Reaction score
I brewed a tri berry Meade, back in Jan, I was trying to go for a sparkling drink, I know its really hard, I read several forums about it, but decided to go out on a limb and experiment. After 7 months of fermenting I decided to bottle, I carbed with 1cup of honey. I bottled a case in champagne bottles as well as one six pack of grolsh bottles so I could test through out the next months. I tried one after just being in the bottle for a month and as I slowly cracked the top it fizzed and continued to do so until 1/3 was gone. I assume the champagne bottles will do the same, anything I can do to fix it? By the way they are all pack in plastic tubs in case of bombs.

A way to slow the gushing is to chill them before opening since more CO2 goes into solution.

If that does not help, at least with the Grolsch bottles you could burp them then make sure they re-close. That might do it.

For the champagne bottles - if corked... I haven't a clue. Hopefully someone else here can, though!

B

thanks for the quick reply, I had chilled the bottle over night, I was really anxious to sample because it tasted so good before bottling, the six months really mellowed it quite nice.

To the OP's credit it was 1 cup of honey not sugar. Though you are correct in being exact with regards to carbing. I am not sure of the amount of carbonation honey would give you but basically the only recourse from here would be to open the bottles to let some of the carb escape and re-cap/cork. Does sounds tasty though!

Latest posts

Back