Can you cold crash for too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a cranberry sour sitting in a temp controlled chest freezer for a cold crash. I put it in there on Sunday morning @ 11:30 AM. Added the gelatin at 8:00 AM Monday morning. I meant to put it in the keg last night but did not get to it. I won't get to it tonight either. If I do it tomorrow night, is that too long for a cold crash? It's like 80 hours it'd be in the cold crash for.

I know for bottling, this may be a scenario where I'd have to add more yeast at bottling time but for kegging, is there any negative effects with this?

Thanks.

I cold crashed a strawberry blonde for a week (sunday to sunday) before bottling earlier this year. It wasn't even slow carbonating, not that it mattered as it was a beer for SWMBO, who was pregnant at the time and probably won't finish it until next year anyway. The last taste I had was about a week ago, and it still exhibits a strong strawberry flavor, so nothing got stripped out of it apparently.

My pipeline is strong enough now that I'm planning on giving all my beers a week long cold crash for a while. I really liked the clarity I got from the last two doing that.

Edit: Also, since you're kegging I don't see any down side unless it's a hefe or NEIPA where haze is preferred.

Even if you are bottling, there are no real side effects. I usually cold crash for 2-3 days without any issues and I bottle, which is a not so good, especially for brighter, hoppier styles.

Back