Can wort be made then stored?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

Reaction score
Is it ok to make the wort, chill it and store it in a sanitized, airtight bucket and pitch the yeast later (1-2 weeks)? I am getting ready to move (975 miles) and would like to have some ready to go when I get there. Is this a totally horrible idea or is it possible with proper sanitization practices?

Forgive the horrid grammar =P

It is possible, but two things will be extremely important:

1. sanitation, as the wort is most vulnerable in this state. It's a veritable smorgasboard for nasties.

2. Temperature. Less important of the two, but being summer, if you won't be able to keep it below 75-80 degrees, don't do it.

To borrow your own words, I think it is a "totally horrible idea!" Honestly, the best homebrew sanitizing techniques are far from perfect...we're sanitizing, not sterilizing. Some "bugs" WILL get into your wort, through the air or other means, it's virtually impossible to keep them out. We pitch massive colonies of yeast, and count on their sheer numbers to crowd out the relatively tiny number of nasty interlopers. Without your armies of yeast, the nasty bugs will have no trouble getting established.

It's not clear to me what you hope to accomplish...you're planning to transport your unfermented wort 975 miles?

Actually, it's a regular practice for some folks to make a batch of wort and then can it just like you would fruit or veggies. The canning process makes the wort sterile and seals it in so it'll keep. It doesn't quite fit what you want to do with it though. Folks who do that use the jars of sterile wort for starting their yeast for later batches.

yeah in your situation i would just wait till you move, then start your batch.. no need to risk infecting your wort just so you can automatically pitch yeast onto it when you arrive where your moving. it may save time, but imo the risk would be too much to warrant doing it. that's just my opinion.

although if you take the proper steps and are extremely careful with your sanitation, you could pull it off. i am pretty sure there is a tutorial somewhere around here about making wort and canning it for later use.. just gotta search.

I presume you are doing extract. Why not just wait and do it when you get there.

What are you saving, an hour or so?

Why transport 5 gallon of water a 1000 miles.

I store wort from one batch to use as starters for others, or as a base for a braggot, or a poi dog cider. Generally I do 1 gal storage units at the most and I use the same process you would in canning fruits or vegetables.

If your talking about pre-making an entire batch, and transporting it to your new place I would have to ask WHY? More to break, spill, spoil, loose. Ship Beer, not wort.

I kind of figured that would be the response. The reason for this question is that my family has gone ahead without me and I have about 2 weeks of evenings on my hands. I dont mind waiting at all I am just a bit bored =) Thanks for the responses.

I kind of figured that would be the response. The reason for this question is that my family has gone ahead without me and I have about 2 weeks of evenings on my hands. I dont mind waiting at all I am just a bit bored =) Thanks for the responses.

If you are that bored, then why not just go ahead in the knowledge that you may have wasted a few bucks and not be too bothered if it gets infected. Life is for living. Playing safe is for fluffycats ;)

If I was determined to do this I would make the brew asap and pitch the yeast. Prior to departure I would rack to a secondary w/ minimal headspace as in the level being in the neck of the carboy. I would seal the secondary fairly tightly w/ saran wrap, foil over that and a rubber band around the neck.

Holding wort for two weeks is not a viable option in my opinion, also it only buys you a couple of hours of brew time.

I'd just brew it and pitch yeast, then make sure to use fermcap or some other foam control in your primary. I'd leave a regular air lock on it until move day, for the move I don't see a reason to move it from primary if it is still fermenting, just put on a length of tubing on your airlock, make sure you keep it above the level of the wort and put a dry airlock on the end (Like one of those hepa filter things).

If you have enough primaries and the time you could show up with several batches going already.

Exactly. I was just going to say that the best way to store wort is to preserve it with alcohol.

+1. While I don't like the idea of schlepping 5 gallons of liquid 1000 miles, I'd much rather do it post-fermentation.

To the OP, I'd suggest making better use of those two weeks. Read up on new techniques, investigate sources of ingredients near your new home. Build some new equipment, like a wort chiller or MLT. The two weeks will fly by, and when you move you'll be better equipped and prepared to brew. :mug:

Latest posts

Back