Can Someone please tell me this will be ok

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chezzesteak

Reaction score
sick and tired of bad batches. this is a american pale that i did late sat night.

went to pitch yeast this morning and this is what it looked like. kept in ferm chamber at 65.

pitched yeast anyways.

IMG00197-20111017-0958.jpg

If you're tired of bad batches why not pitch the yeast sooner? The longer you wait the longer undesirable microorganisms have to gain a foothold in the wort.

If you're tired of bad batches why not pitch the yeast sooner? The longer you wait the longer undesirable microorganisms have to gain a foothold in the wort.

i wanted to make sure my wort was at correct pitching temp and not throwing in yeast to warm...maybe i F ed up again..

god this hobby is killing me. i just want good beer to drink. :(

What Phenry said.
Use an ice bath or pour the beer back and forth between pots, something. Invest in a wort chiller.

...off topic, I used to live in Tempe

i got a wort chiller and as you can imagine when the water is coming out of the tap at 100 plus degrees its hard to get it down to below 70. i bought a fountain pump and pump ice cold water thru but i guess i am just wanting to make sure its at a good temp..

funny i know alot of people with the last name Kahler

Use the sink unitl you get the wort down to 100, then use the pump and ice with rock salt- thats exactly what i do. I can be from boil to 68* in about 20 minutes. Go to petsmart and grab a aquarium thermometer (sticker) it will tell you when you are at pitching temps.

interesting. I grew up in Tucson, moved to Tempe for school (Le Cordon Bleu).

There is the "no-chill" option. You should invest in a plastic container and a microfilter to keep your wort from being contaminated until you pitch, usually the next day.

Or invest in an IC with an ice bath prechiller...

You can get the microfilter from one of the big online brew supply stores. There are a few different plastic containers that are commonly used. Someone even suggested an "aquatainer" from Walmart I think.

Also, try to be more vigilant about sanitation. This is a whopper to have developed overnight while waiting to reach temps (a lot of people do that, and you're right, it is better than pitching warm). If you have clean wort going into a sterile carboy, you shouldn't encounter this too often (if ever).

Also, try to be more vigilant about sanitation. This is a whopper to have developed overnight while waiting to reach temps (a lot of people do that, and you're right, it is better than pitching warm). If you have clean wort going into a sterile carboy, you shouldn't encounter this too often (if ever).

I can totally agree with this statement. I have lazy no-chilled my last 7 beers, letting them sit for 24 hours in the brew pot before moving to a starsan sanitized carboy. Never an infection. Practicing good sanitization is paramount to make healthy beer.

Are you pouring the boiled wort directly into the glass carboy? It kind of looks that way from the picture with all that condensation. I would think you could get suck-back if you had an airlock on top which could pull in the water (if you had any, just making assumption here).

Maybe you could post a detailed description of your process to see if some of the guys on here can tweak it and help you out of this home brew slump?

Check your sanitation. I have had a few batches I have left for a day or two with no problem. What kind of sanitizer are you using? Maybe try iodophor. I think a 10 minute soak brings it to hospital levels of sanitation. I personally love starsan. The foam also disinfects and does not affect the flavor so I actually shake and empty my carboy and leave the foam in there to travel up the sides of the carboy while I pour in the wort.

Also, I live in Phoenix and pumping icewater through an IC has allowed me to get my wort down to the low 60's even in July. (I used 2 or 3 bags of ice though) McDonald's usually sells it for $1 a bag so it is still pretty cheap. Use tap water to get it down as low as possible and then switch to the ice water pump.

Back