Can lactobacillus be washed and/or stored??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorporateHippie

Reaction score
I plan on brewing my first Berliner Weisse soon. After a TON of research I have decided to not do a sour mash but rather pitch a 1 liter starter of lacto for 7 days and then pitch my sacc. My question is two fold...

#1. Can I make a 1.5 liter lacto starter and store the extra 1/2 ltr in my fridge like I do with any normal yeast strain. Will it keep? Then I can make another starter in the future to use lacto in another brew. I came across some obscure info that said you can't store lacto which doesn't make sense since I but it "stored" from my LHBS.

#2. If I harvest the yeast cake from the Berliner Weisse and wash it like I commonly do with different yeast strains, what should I expect? Will the lacto be present or dead from the sacc working? Would the washed yeast be available to produce just a slightly lactic batch? Or is it a dumper cake?

10386824_10152408568401945_570847840569150849_n.jpg

Back