can it be too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamkamdac

Reaction score
ive got a batch of my own variation of apfelwein going and im fermenting at low temp (55-60) because i heard it keeps in more of the apple flavor by slowing fermentation.

im using safail s-04 which has a recommended temp range of 60-70, i know going over 70 is bad because you start to get more fusel alcohol, but is going below 60 bad as well?

will fermenting at lower temp just slow down fermentation or can it also impart off flavors?

also, at the temp im fermenting at the S.G. is only doping .004-.008 a day, extremely slow for a yeast that is supposed to be a fast fermenter, but thats what i was going for.

Slowing and possibly stopping fermentation are all I'd be concerned with the low temp. I'd be happy with 4-8 points a day. If you want it dry, you might want to warm it up a bit near the end for a strong finish.

thanks.

i dont want it dry, planing on cold crashing and racking at .018. then bottle at .012 and pasteurizing to stop fermentation at around .01

thanks.

i dont want it dry, planing on cold crashing and racking at .018. then bottle at .012 and pasteurizing to stop fermentation at around .01

I'm not sure sure I'd bottle at 1.012 and pasteurize at 1.001 unless I was using champagne bottles. That would be equivalent to over a lb of priming sugar in a five gallon batch. Carbonation typically only requires about a 3 point drop. If you bottle it cold, it requires even less.

My experience with S-04 is that it doesn't like the cold much. I'm not 100% sure, but racking at the temps you indicated might just shut it down. I'd probably wait until you get closer to your desired FG before racking.

Snip
I'd be happy with 4-8 points a day.

I started a wild yeast, keeved cider at the end of November. The temperature has been at around 40° for much of that time. For this technique it is recommended to rack the cider if the gravity drop is greater than 2 points per week ...

The result is normally a naturally sweet and sparkling cider.

I started a wild yeast, keeved cider at the end of November. The temperature has been at around 40° for much of that time. For this technique it is recommended to rack the cider if the gravity drop is greater than 2 points per week ...

The result is normally a naturally sweet and sparkling cider.

Keeved cider is a completely different animal. Not sure it has much to do with apfelwein.

Back