Can i use a gas valve directly from a furnace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgondoli1

Reaction score
Im sorry if this has already been covered in another thread but i couldnt find exactly what ive been looking for. i have been given an old lp furnace. I would like to use the gas valve to fire my MLT. Do i need any other parts to do this successfully, and do i need to use some part that i already have to convert 110v to 24v. Its a complete rheem furnace and i have a love ts controller. Thanks..:drunk:

As long as you have the proper pressure regulator installed, you could use the gas valve. You won't have any control over the burner. It will be either on full blast or off. As far as the 110v-24v, there should be a transformer on the furnace for this that you can use.

Thanks guys, would you happen to know what the transformer would look like. i guess i can just poke around with my volt meter. also im not worried about the burner as it is a 6 tip jet burner and they only run on or off for the most part.

If it's a standing pilot furnace, it should look like the part in the upper right of this pic.

0614002323a.jpg

If it's an electronic ignition furnace, it may have a seperate transformer that looks similar to that, or it may be integrated into the circuit board in which case you'd have to use the whole board. This would be a good thing though since you wouldn't need a standing pilot and could use the electronic ignition in your setup.

Thanks for the pic! It is a standing pilot. I would rather have electric ignition but the board is fried so i guess its not so bad. This build would never happened without guys like you so thanks again..

Back