Can I use a coffee mill for crushing grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fj3fury

Reaction score
I'm slowly entering the partial mash phase after being an extract only brewer for a wee over a year. I don't want to buy or build a full blown malt mill at the moment. Can I use a coffee grinder to coarse grind the grain?

An electric powder mr coffee. I didn't see any hand cranked ones in the antique stores of late.

This might work OK for partial mash or boil in a bag.

I would worry about getting too fine a "crush" for all grain and the possibility of a stuck sparge.

Look into a corona style mill. I am using one and have been getting 70 - 80 efficiency for my all grain brews. About $20-$30

My LHBS uses a very large commercial coffee grinder. I recently went to a different LHBS and they have an actual mill with rollers that do a correct crush. I think I prefer the rollers, I like the result better.

I'm slowly entering the partial mash phase after being an extract only brewer for a wee over a year. I don't want to buy or build a full blown malt mill at the moment. Can I use a coffee grinder to coarse grind the grain?

Why not buy the grain pre-crushed?

I would be reluctant to use a coffee grinder. Properly speaking the whirly-blade "grinders" don't actually grind the coffee but rather chop it into fine bits. You'll be shredding the husks, and applying a fair bit of heat to the grain in the process. I'm sure it will work in a pinch, but it seems like there are easier ways to do it.

Back