Can I substitute Lager yeast in an amber ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
I'm wondering what it would be like to take a mildly hoppy, sweet amber recipe and use lager yeast instead of an ale yeast. I want a smooth amber lager; something easy to drink.

What are the pitfalls of substituting lager yeast (and the proper fermentation temps for lager yeast) directly for ale yeast?

Would be a basic recipe:
2-row, C-60, C120, C20, and Victory. Palisade hops. 1.057 OG. Dry german lager yeast. The ale recipe wat around 40 IBU.... would probably drop it to 30 if going with the lager yeast.

Any thoughts on how you would go about this?

Straight swap should be fine. HOwever you may lose some aroma from late additions if you lager the beer for a decent amount of time

Saflager 34/70 if you're looking for a dry option. You'll get a really nice clean beer. I've brewed everything from helles to IPA with that yeast, even oatmeal stout. I love it.

Sounds like it's in the California Common realm if you ask me. Wouldn't be perfectly "to style", but no reason it wouldn't be tasty.

+1. Ive used Cali Lager in some ale recipes (mainly when I was wanting to experiment with the yeast) and found out it makes great tasting beer with lager qualities, all without the required time frame.

I fermented mine in the high 50s, gave a good cold crash with some gelatin, and had some good beers in a matter of weeks. Worked especially well with a Mexi Vienna Lager recipe.

Back