Can i sanitize fruit with vanilla extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevem86

Reaction score
I brewed an imperial cream ale and I am wanting to add vanilla extract and some orange peel to the secondary to impart some more flavor to it.
My question is, will vanilla extract sanitize the orange peel?
Or should I go with the old stand-by of using vodka to sanitize the orange peel?

I wouldn't say the vanilla extract would absolutely not sanitize the orange peel, but I wouldn't trust it to do so.

And priced around $9/1.75 liters, your standard run-of-the-mill rotgut vodka is way cheaper than vanilla extract, so why risk it?

This is news to me, why would vanilla extract sanitize anything? Is that a known property of vanilla I have never heard of?

Vanilla extract is made with alcohol. That is why I assumed you could use it as a sanitizer.
From all of the other stuff that I read, I think just giving the oranges a good washing and maybe a spritz with starsan and they will be fine.
Or I guess I could ask to borrow a cup of vodka from my neighbor. Hahaha

In order to sanitize with vanilla extract, it will need to be pure. But what is the point really? Vodka is way cheaper!

why not make your own vanilla extract with the rot gut vodka and vanilla beans you can get in bulk online. are you looking to impart some vanilla flavor?

so i just read the op. i do not see why you couldnt use a homemade vanilla extract but i think you have to wait at least a week or two on it. then age the rest for later use

Vanilla extract should sanitize fine, I make my own with vodka and vanilla beans, nothing else added. So it would be about the same as throwing them in vodka, so... why not :)

Vanilla extract should sanitize fine, I make my own with vodka and vanilla beans, nothing else added. So it would be about the same as throwing them in vodka, so... why not :)

Same here. I use cheap vodka to make my own vanilla extract too.

Vanilla extract would be great for sanitizing. The FDA requires the vanilla extract to be at least 35% ABV (ethanol). The vodka I use is 40%.

I'm sure a store bought vanilla extract (35% EtOH) would sanitize just fine. This being said, not sure if you might end up with a crapload of vanilla flavor doing it this way. You could certainly use vodka or even dilute some vanilla extract with vodka to reduce flavor.

Latest posts

Back