Can I salvage this manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So a few months ago, in eager anticipation of buying my kegging system for my new ferment-o-keggerator, I picked up this. It seemed to be exactly what I needed and I think the total came out to $25 bucks shipped. "What a deal!" I said, and eagerly scooped it up.

Well, there was a catch. All the gas fittings I bought from Ritebrew (amazing customer service there, btw) ended up being 3/8 barbed. I think. I'm still working things out, but the guy I talked to at the place seemed pretty intent on making sure I had the right parts. The problem is that my manifold is all 1/4" barbs.

"No problem," says I, "I'll just switch out all the barbs for 3/8 barbs!" Because I'm simultaneously stupid and cheap, I'm now searching for how to fit barbs to these dudes. I'm thinking I may be able to get them all fit with a trip to the LHBS and Home Depot/Lowes, but I'm running into weird problems.

First of all, the input on the manifold is currently this. It seems simple enought to change it out to a 1/4" MPT to 3/8" Barb, I've found a few options in that respect. I'm currently just looking for ways to make sure it's a 1/4" MPT, so if you have any ideas in that respect, that'd be good. The information I got about measuring the outside of the threads seems to point to that, though.

Secondly, in the ends of the output valves are these fittings. I have no idea what the MPT measurement on them is, because it doesn't see to be as big around. It looks like it's about 9/16" across, but the threaded side is just under 1/4" in length, as opposed to the 3/8" I measured for the brass fitting up there. Is this going to be a different measuring standard than MPT? There's also some sort of plastic washer inside, if that helps, and it fits in this shutoff/check valve.

So here's the big catch-all question, besides the few I posted about the fittings. Do I go about trying to change the fittings, or do I just say "screw it" and spend $40 on the manifold that will actually fit my system (and give me a bonus output for co2 flushing and such and such)?

Last edited by a moderator:
What gas fittings did you buy from Ritebrew?

Looking at their website, only the regulator has a 3/8" barb.
They state that 5/16" tubing will fit over the barb or you can swap out the input on the manifold to the 1/4" mpt x 3/8" barb.
Then run 1/4" tubing from the valves to the ball/pinlock connection.

I don't believe you can swap out the 1/4" barbs on the valves but some one else might know.

Honestly, I'd go with the "screw it" option. By the time you got done refitting everything on that manifold you'd probably feel the same way...

Cheers!

Back