Can i safely bend cdn thermometer probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelspin

Reaction score
For all the tech fundi's

I've got a CDN thermometer thru the side of my mash tun. Works very well.

Only problem is that i have to bend down quite far to read it as the LCD readout is horizontal and I'm standing above it.

Without damaging the thing, could I bend the probe at about a 45º angle so that the dial faces up for easier reading ?

I would appreciate comment.

CDN THERMO.jpg

The sensor is fused to the narrow tip. I assume a wire in the stem connects to the electronics above. If you have a way to bend it without kinking or breaking it (it's a thin hollow tube), you're in business. A gentle curve has probably a better chance than a sharp short one.

Mind you, the stem snaps off the body very easily. That stupid pen-like holder should never be used. It's way too tight.

The sensor is fused to the narrow tip. I assume a wire in the stem connects to the electronics above. If you have a way to bend it without kinking or breaking it (it's a thin hollow tube), you're in business. A gentle curve has probably a better chance than a sharp short one.

Mind you, the stem snaps off the body very easily. That stupid pen-like holder should never be used. It's way too tight.

I used to have one of those, you're correct about the inside. They're pretty sturdy guys, but I'd only try to bend it if you do it very slowly and carefully.

For the sake of SCIENCE...I have a small pile of thermometers on my desk right now that don't work properly (this one is not getting consistent temps), but still turn on and get a reading...

First pic, unaltered
Second pic, 45 degree angle (ish)
Third pic, 90 degree angle
Fourth pic, I kinked it past 90 degrees and it no longer registered a temperature and I felt a tiny "crack" in the tube

This thermo doesn't hold a consistent temp, but was reacting consistently at the first and second bends. After going past 90 I'd say I killed it. Bending it back to straight finished the crack, which was the breaking of the stem itself.

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

Latest posts

Back