Can I reuse the Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychicbud

Reaction score
I'm fermenting an IPA, and decided to use a blow off tube, consisting of 4' of hose: 3' exiting at about a 45 degree angle out of the top of my carboy, and 1' heading back into a jar within a larger pot. After 1 1/2 days, I switched to an air-lock.

My problem: I have over 1/2 gallon of pure liquid. This seems like a tremendous waste. Is there anything I can do with this?

I thought about boiling the liquid and adding it back to the carboy.

There is a Home Brewer TV podcast on iTunes where he builds a chamber for his blow off tube that will allow beer to flow back into his fermenter or harvest yeast from it. You should check it out; they are free on iTunes. It is titled "The Giant Fermentation Lock.." and was released on 1/11/2011.

Don't add it back!!! The risk of infection isn't worth it. Were the tubing and jar sanitized? Use it as a side experiment...let it ferment out and see what you get.

Don't add it back!!! The risk of infection isn't worth it. Were the tubing and jar sanitized? Use it as a side experiment...let it ferment out and see what you get.

What he said.

Before I started using fermcap, I would get the same level of blowoff fluid as you just did. My tubing and jar was sanitized and used sterile water in the airlock.
So as a side experiment (I couldn't bring myself to throw it out) I would bottle the liquid portion. These bottles always had a unique flavor.

What he said.

Before I started using fermcap, I would get the same level of blowoff fluid as you just did. My tubing and jar was sanitized and used sterile water in the airlock.
So as a side experiment (I couldn't bring myself to throw it out) I would bottle the liquid portion. These bottles always had a unique flavor.

I sanitize everything, but maybe your idea is best. I can create a separate fermentation jar.

What do you think about boiling the excess and than adding it back? I hate wasting beer.

What do you think about boiling the excess and than adding it back? I hate wasting beer.

I don't like tinkering with things once I pitch the yeast, rarely seems to work out well. But I've never tried this specifically so I couldn't tell ya. Don't waste it, ferment it out separately or try to capture some wild yeast or something - experiment.

Back