Can I re-do my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbuckhead

Reaction score
I'm new to starters (tried my second one today). I made a couple of mistakes but I'm hoping I can simply do another starter with the same yeast. Tell me what you think.

I did a 1.040, 1000 ml start with a stir plate, but I used a airlock. I went back to double check with Mr. malty that I'd done everything right and realized I deprived the yeast of proper gas exchange by locking out ambient air. I also realized I'd forgot to add some yeast nutrient. All of this was after I took it off the stir plate, decanted to a sterilized jar, and refrigerated for later use. Assuming I don't have a contamination problem, is there any reason I can't let the yeast fall out and form a nice cake at the bottom of the jar, and do a new starter tomorrow, decanting the wort, using some nutrient and loosely covering the bottle with sanitized foil?

Johnny B

I'm new to starters (tried my second one today). I made a couple of mistakes but I'm hoping I can simply do another starter with the same yeast. Tell me what you think.

I did a 1.040, 1000 ml start with a stir plate, but I used a airlock. I went back to double check with Mr. malty that I'd done everything right and realized I deprived the yeast of proper gas exchange by locking out ambient air. I also realized I'd forgot to add some yeast nutrient. All of this was after I took it off the stir plate, decanted to a sterilized jar, and refrigerated for later use. Assuming I don't have a contamination problem, is there any reason I can't let the yeast fall out and form a nice cake at the bottom of the jar, and do a new starter tomorrow, decanting the wort, using some nutrient and loosely covering the bottle with sanitized foil?

Nope. Go for it. Although you would be fine using it as is. Many people use starters without a stir plate or yeast nutrient. It's all about amplifying yeast cell numbers. You might be a little lower than you might have been otherwise, but, assuming you're making a beer of moderate gravity, there's no reason to worry.

That said: what are you making? And when are you brewing (and when did you make your starter)?

Doing a English Nut Brown Ale. My schedule gets a little crazy, but it looking like Monday will be brew day.

Johnny B

You'll be just fine using it as is. You won't be far off from the number of cells you were aiming for and it's very doubtful that another starter would result in a better beer. I might suggest otherwise if this was for a 10% beer but it won't be noticeable in yours.

You'll be just fine using it as is. You won't be far off from the number of cells you were aiming for and it's very doubtful that another starter would result in a better beer. I might suggest otherwise if this was for a 10% beer but it won't be noticeable in yours.

This. Anything under a month is fine. Just decant, resuspend your cake in some cooled wort from your brew and throw that sucker in. No problem.

Cheers!

Back