Can I pull this off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFH

Reaction score
I've been tasked with making the beer for the sister's wedding. I've already got a decent supply of beer that should be ready by then, but I'll most likely end up needing to make another batch as well.

To give everyone an idea of what I'm expecting to deliver on the wedding day (October 2nd), here's what I currently have:

-5 gallons cherry dunkelweizen (bottled)
-5 gallons blonde ale (in primary)
-5 gallons apfelwine (primary; will be bottled this weekend)
-5 gallons Oktoberfest ale (kit arriving tomorrow)

We're expecting about 200 guests total, including children. There's also going to be a cash bar, and I'll be accepting any tips people deem appropriate to cover the cost of all this. :)

I'm thinking I might need to whip up one more quick batch of something, as well. Possibly a hefe or a cream ale. Something that can be made really fast and ready to go by the wedding.

Any suggestions? Aside from "you're crazy", of course. :)

I just got married in July and had 30 gallons for 150 people, no cash bar. I had about 5 gallons left over

I had a Scottish 80 schilling that the crowds loved. I based it on the northern brewer recipe. It was AG but It's so simple that I'm sure the Extract/steeped grain would be great.

There's also going to be a cash bar, and I'll be accepting any tips people deem appropriate to cover the cost of all this.

Be sure to check on the beer laws in your area concerning serving homebrew at a wedding and getting tips/cash for it. Some areas may look poorly on it for 'selling' without a liscense. Unless, of course, you've already covered that :mug:

I am kind of confused, you have less then a month and want to make an Oktoberfest ale? Are you kegging this or bottling? I am not sure there is enough time.

I am kind of confused, you have less then a month and want to make an Oktoberfest ale? Are you kegging this or bottling? I am not sure there is enough time.

The Oktoberfest will preferably be bottled if it's ready. Kegged if not

I would go with a saison. It would be a good gateway for BMC drinkers.

I'll look into this and see what my LHBS has in stock.

My other concern would be the apfelwein. Won't it be a little young if it's only in the bottle a month?

My last batch turned out really damned good after only two weeks in the bottle, so I'm figuring this should be OK.

I definitely don't think an apfelwein would be ready in a month. It takes 6 weeks to settle IMHO.

It's been sitting in the fermenter for about six weeks now. It'l be a little over three weeks in bottle before the first tasting.

I've already told everyone I'll do my best, but can't make any real promises at this point, so if I end up a bit short the cash bar will cover the rest. :)

I know that someone posted the concerns over the donations cup by the beer. I do not presume to know the laws in your state/area or your situation. I do know that in my area you can not give away HB where other beer is being sold (the cash bar) and some places do not allow glass.

I am only bringing this up so that you and other people counting on you are not disappointed...I would check with the place and the local laws regarding this.

Best of luck with the brew and I would also say +1 to a yellow fizzy beer.

It's been sitting in the fermenter for about six weeks now. It'l be a little over three weeks in bottle before the first tasting.

I've already told everyone I'll do my best, but can't make any real promises at this point, so if I end up a bit short the cash bar will cover the rest. :)

Woops, I somehow missed the time of this one. I would say you will be fine on that. Three weeks in bottle and 6 in primary is a little young, but should still be tasty.

To the OP.....don't rush homebrew/craft beer...when you do, it taste like ****; therefore turning all of your friends off of good beer. Go with what is ready to drink and or buy a keg.

go for an ipa. they're getting more popular, and are supposed to be drank young and harsh. or you can do an arrogant bastard clone. it should be ready to drink in 2-3 weeks, brew to belly

Back