Can I open my fermenting bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbmoore43

Reaction score
I am a new brewer, just brewed my first batch on Monday. I brewed an Irish Red Ale kit that I got from Midwest.

I have it sealed in my fermenting bucket with the airlock on it, but I just wanted to know what the downside of opening it would be? I have heard you don't want to let any contaminants in, but does it really make much of a difference? Is there much harm in opening the bucket up to check on the fermentation and see the krausen?

One reason that I want to check it out is that there was a lot of activity with the airlock for the first 48 hours, but it has really slowed down since then. Should I worry at all?

Thanks

Contamination is a real problem. Looking at it at this time won't make any positive difference, only negative.

cbmoore43 said:
I am a new brewer, just brewed my first batch on Monday. I brewed an Irish Red Ale kit that I got from Midwest.

I have it sealed in my fermenting bucket with the airlock on it, but I just wanted to know what the downside of opening it would be? I have heard you don't want to let any contaminants in, but does it really make much of a difference? Is there much harm in opening the bucket up to check on the fermentation and see the krausen?

One reason that I want to check it out is that there was a lot of activity with the airlock for the first 48 hours, but it has really slowed down since then. Should I worry at all?

Thanks

Open it up and take a peek. You do increase the risk of infection, but it's only a slight risk. Might as well get a good look at what a krausen looks like and satisfy your curiosity

I've opened up everyone of my buckets at some point. Never had an infection.

Sounds good. Vigorous activity in the airlock is really what you want to see. You have a low gravity beer so it ferments fairly quick so a couple of days of active fermentation does the trick. You certainly can take the lid off if you want to but you do risk some exposure and losing some of the protective co2 although the risk is minimal. My recommendation would be to wait until day 5 because your fermentation will most likely be completely done. You can take a hydrometer reading to confirm it.

Just don't stick your face close to it and take a deep breath! You might find yourself a bit woozy... :)

i got a big whiff of my hefe's off gassing through the b.o. tube and it made my eyes water! (1st time using a tube...i didn't quite expect that)

I'm surely a newbie to this, but from what I understand, you want to keep oxygen off the surface of the wort. During fermentation, CO2 is released and covers the surface of the wort. Opening the lid would obviously allow atmospheric air to mingle its way in.

firebirdude said:
I'm surely a newbie to this, but from what I understand, you want to keep oxygen off the surface of the wort. During fermentation, CO2 is released and covers the surface of the wort. Opening the lid would obviously allow atmospheric air to mingle its way in.

CO2 produced by the fermentation is heavier than ambient air forming a nice blanket. The CO2 and yeast will protect from O2 during active fermentation. No worries in this respect

jiggs_casey said:
Just don't stick your face close to it and take a deep breath! You might find yourself a bit woozy... :)

Don't they torture people this way. Picture interrogator opening up a can of coke right under restrained persons nose...

i got a big whiff of my hefe's off gassing through the b.o. tube and it made my eyes water! (1st time using a tube...i didn't quite expect that)

You aint made cider yet, if you aint smelt the rhino farts.:ban: I use buckets so I don't mess with it. But you will look. Soooo sanitize your hands and the lid, remove the air lock first then the lid and take a peek. It aint purty though. Replace the lid, Sanitize the air lock and put it back in. Cheers:mug:

CO2 produced by the fermentation is heavier than ambient air forming a nice blanket. The CO2 and yeast will protect from O2 during active fermentation. No worries in this respect
Yeah... but he's asking about opening the lid. You can't tell me just because CO2 is a little heavier, that there won't be a little breeze of O2 getting in there.

Regardless, as stated, only bad things can come from it. Admittingly the risk isn't tremendous, so if you want to risk your brew by ripping into your Christmas presents two weeks early, go for it.:fro:

If the airlock is actively bubbling, your chances of an infection are very low. Co2 will push anything bad out short of drool or a sneeze. Go ahead and do it just so you know how damn ugly fermentation looks.

After that, resist the urge until it stops fermenting for a couple of days.

Yeah... but he's asking about opening the lid. You can't tell me just because CO2 is a little heavier, that there won't be a little breeze of O2 getting in there.

Regardless, as stated, only bad things can come from it. Admittingly the risk isn't tremendous, so if you want to risk your brew by ripping into your Christmas presents two weeks early, go for it.:fro:

Ever put dry ice into a bucket half full of water? Does a little breeze clear all of the CO2 haze out of the bucket? The answer is no in my experience.

Not to state the obvious but.... advice from someone that's worked in sterile lab conditions growing cell lines... If you open the bucket... NO TALKING until it's closed. It sounds ridiculous but seriously... in this situation, talking and therefore spit droplets will be your most likely source of possible contamination.

Not to state the obvious but.... advice from someone that's worked in sterile lab conditions growing cell lines... If you open the bucket... NO TALKING until it's closed. It sounds ridiculous but seriously... in this situation, talking and therefore spit droplets will be your most likely source of possible contamination.

I spit starsan!

Beer is far from sterile. In fact, it's the exact opposite due to yeast overgrowth. I'd say that unless you've studied competitive single-cellular/microbial competition under EtOH environments, you're experience doesn't count.

Sterile does not equal beer in any way, shape or form.

Beer is far from sterile. In fact, it's the exact opposite due to yeast overgrowth. I'd say that unless you've studied competitive single-cellular/microbial competition under EtOH environments, you're experience doesn't count.

Sterile does not equal beer in any way, shape or form.

Did not say that beer was sterile in any way... I was saying in situations where you open yourself up to contamination... it's the one thing most people overlook. It's a matter of not introducing microbes into the beer that shouldn't be there. So thanks but my experience does count...

With all due respect, unless your experience is directly related to beer contamination, it doesn't count. I open my fermentors ALL THE TIME, yet I've never once had a bad beer.

Jeez guys. RDWHAH.

Open fermentations can work well. When I went up to deer camp this year I came back to a 'sploded carboy. From the crustiness of the krausen it looked to have been open for all five days. Put the cap back on, Shook the fermenter to drop the krausen and this beer tastes GRRRRRREAT!!

I suggest the OP gets a glass carboy. Then you can watch all the fun guilt and worry free!!

With all due respect, unless your experience is directly related to beer contamination, it doesn't count. I open my fermentors ALL THE TIME, yet I've never once had a bad beer.

Wow... ok... look dude. Contamination is introducing microbes into somewhere that they shouldn't be. Doesn't matter if it's beer or any other microbial or cellular culture. The only difference between beer and a lab situation is that beer is much more forgiving because a strong yeast culture is capable of out-competing SOME bacteria. I'm sure you have plenty of experience not contaminating beer and I'm not arguing that. Regardless, if someone is asking about opening up their fermentation bucket, I have a hard time believing that advice to minimize potential contamination "doesn't count". So unless you have experience spitting in your beer and not contaminating it, you can chill out.

JimTheHick said:
Jeez guys. RDWHAH.

Open fermentations can work well. When I went up to deer camp this year I came back to a 'sploded carboy. From the crustiness of the krausen it looked to have been open for all five days. Put the cap back on, Shook the fermenter to drop the krausen and this beer tastes GRRRRRREAT!!

I suggest the OP gets a glass carboy. Then you can watch all the fun guilt and worry free!!

This

Wow... ok... look dude. Contamination is introducing microbes into somewhere that they shouldn't be. Doesn't matter if it's beer or any other microbial or cellular culture. The only difference between beer and a lab situation is that beer is much more forgiving because a strong yeast culture is capable of out-competing SOME bacteria. I'm sure you have plenty of experience not contaminating beer and I'm not arguing that. Regardless, if someone is asking about opening up their fermentation bucket, I have a hard time believing that advice to minimize potential contamination "doesn't count". So unless you have experience spitting in your beer and not contaminating it, you can chill out.

Look, we're on a BEER forum. We only care if things affect our beer. My beer has NEVER been affected by opening the fermentor. Has yours? How many beers have you made?

I third the glass carboy. That's what a had to do due to curiosity. Just be prepared for what you are about to see....that first 48 hours looks like a dirty lava lamp.

markmc40 said:
I third the glass carboy. That's what a had to do due to curiosity. Just be prepared for what you are about to see....that first 48 hours looks like a dirty lava lamp.

Swirling without moving is the coolest thing ever. Those yeast party down.

ctfo. relax, have a home brew. Peek in the darn bucket, leave the lid off, wear a hazmat suit in a clean room. Doesn't matter, brewed beer.

Honestly, its not that big of a deal especially for your first go. It is going to taste good I am sure. You have a higher chance of having improperly sterilized something you used in the process than peeking in a bucket.

It has been discussed many times here before. It will be fine so long as you strip to your skivies and sing the entire score from the HMS Pinafore from your porch.

the risk of contamination from opening a fermentor is very low. when you rack to a bottling bucket and while bottling you expose our beer to more bugs than opening the fermentor. people can do whatever they feel comfortable doing.

the risk of contamination from opening a fermentor is very low. when you rack to a bottling bucket and while bottling you expose our beer to more bugs than opening the fermentor. people can do whatever they feel comfortable doing.

...and exposing it to far more air, etc. Coming in to this a bit late in the game, didn't read all the replies, but seriously there is very low risk in just opening up the carboy for a short bit and closing it back up. Leaving it open for a long period of time? that might get risky. But of all the things people have done to screw up (or attempt to screw up) their beer, I have never heard the reason for a bad batch or any weird taste stemming from peeking under the lid.

Trying not to fan flames on an exploding topic. I say there is no problem cracking it open for a peek.

Oh, and as it being to check for krausen, that is even more of a reason to crack it open. Same folks saying not to open it would probably ask you if krausen formed if you asked about lack of signs of fermentation, and the best way to tell is to open her up.

I just finished an open fermentation in one of these buckets. Lid completely off for 72 hours. As long as there is a thick krausen and active fermentation you should be safe. I did rack out of my primary when fermentation was almost over before the krausen dropped. No infection and a very tasty SS Oatmeal Stout clone

alright, everybody, so I finally opened the fermentation bucket! and guess what? I saw no krausen or any sort of activity. there were some chunks floating on top, but i think those were there when i poured it in the bucket. I'm not worried or anything, but I am starting to think the fermentation might be close to done? I used a dry yeast, which I have heard can ferment much quicker. I only put the wort in the bucket 72 hours ago, is there any way that the fermentation process is already almost over?

The nice thing about a bucket is that you can take a hydro reading right out of it(sanitized hydrometer of course). This is the only way to know if your fermentation is complete.

Sounds like you had a good ferment, with an active air lock. How did it smell? Good I bet. Congrats and welcome to the club. You can truly do most anything brewing , if you follow good sanitation practices doing it. Cheers:tank:

Use a hydrometer, otherwise this is all guess-work. 90% of questions can be answered using a hydrometer, so make it your friend. Read it a book, take it out for a movie.

Seriously though, any fermentation questions (Iis it fermenting? Is fermentation stuck? Is fermentation complete?) are easily answered with a hydrometer reading.

The nice thing about a bucket is that you can take a hydro reading right out of it(sanitized hydrometer of course). This is the only way to know if your fermentation is complete.

Please get a tube or use the one the hydrometer comes in. Use a turkey baster or wine thief, the spigot is very handy for taking samples. sticking your hydrometer and head in there can lead to a "IS MY BEER INFECTED" thread.:p Cheers

Please get a tube or use the one the hydrometer comes in. Use a turkey baster or wine thief, the spigot is very handy for taking samples. sticking your hydrometer and head in there can lead to a "IS MY BEER INFECTED" thread.:p Cheers

How is a sanitized hydrometer any different than a sanitized thief,moreover a thief has a one way valve that can more easily harbor bacteria. Understandably care should be taken when reaching into a fermenter, but it seems that assuming an infected beer was caused by a hydrometer is a bit of an unfounded conclusion.

Matt... just saying its easier and a better practice. All items must be sanitized, including your hands, face , and hair if you want to lean over your bucket. Why take that chance? No offence, just a suggestion. Cheers:)

BOBrob said:
Matt... just saying its easier and a better practice. All items must be sanitized, including your hands, face , and hair if you want to lean over your bucket. Why take that chance? No offence, just a suggestion. Cheers:)

Sanitize hands, face, and hair??? Wow... I believe statements like these are more responsible for the "is my beer infected?" threads than someone actually infecting their beer

Back