Can I make a starter in this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like a sealed container with liquid and plastic floaty things already inside. Like a lava lamp. So I would say no.

I don't think it's sealed... you're supposed to be able to check out the vortex from the top - looks like it's open to me, and you would have to add water to it.

I say call and ask. If it's open, then I don't see any reason why you couldn't figure out a way to do a starter in it. Hell, I may get one myself and try it out. Good thing I haven't finished my letter to Santa yet...

I don't see a stir-bar either. Looks like some kind of impellor. Not sure how sanitary you could make it anyway...

It looks like the top is open.. and i can't imagine they'd send it with water in it...

Sanitize by pouring diluted star-san in and let it whirlpool for a few minutes...

seriously... why not? 20 bucks?

If it doesn't work at least you still have a cool mini tornado display to keep you entertained at the end of a long night of homebrews..

How is that not a blender? That's a blender. That's what it is. It's a blender. Here kid, Merry Christmas. It's a blender. Go observe the vortex action while you make some margaritas.

Looks like a plastic window on top to me. I can't imagine them having something open that spins liquid in toy form. Don't think many moms would like that.

I actually saw this in JCPenney while Christmas shopping, and the top was open. Was in kind of a rush so I didn't take too close of a look at it to see how it stirred. The volume was small, I would guess no more than a liter.

I already have a stir plate, but for price i figure someone on HBT might give it a try.

Back