Can I get you take on this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisinIowa

Reaction score
This is a recipe on the Briess site. I am curious about adding the flaked maize to the boil, as it looks like most people mash it. Would the use of WLP670 make the difference for full boil of corn?
Thank you for your input.
Dennis

Ingredients

Quantity Ingredient Comment Malt Style
3.3 lbs Briess CBW® Golden Light LME Extract, LME
0.5 lb Briess CBW® Sparkling Amber DME Extract, DME
2 lbs Briess Wheat Malt, Red Wheat
2 lbs Insta Grains® Yellow Corn Thin Flakes
0.5 oz Crystal Hops (5% AA) Boil 60 minutes
0.75 oz Crystal Hops (5% AA) Boil 15 minutes
1 vial WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend
1 capsule Servomyces Yeast Nutrient Boil 10 minutes

Procedures
Perform mini-mash with 4 gallons of water and grains
Steep at 152-158ºF for 30 minutes
Add extract and flakes
Bring to a boil
Add bittering hops and continue to boil
Add remaining hops and Servomyces as indicated
Remove from heat
Cool to 72ºF
Transfer to primary fermenter
Fill to desired level with cold water
Oxygenate and pitch yeast

Primary Fermentation: 14 days at 72ºF

Secondary Fermentation:

Fermentation Notes:

Original Gravity: 1.046

Final Gravity: 1.012

Alcohol by Weight: 3.8%

Alcohol by Volume: 4.7%

IBU: 15

Color: 6 SRM

Tags:

If you were doing an all grain beer then the flakes would go in the mash. Since flakes are already "processed" they can go in the boil. I guess it would be the same as adding brown sugar or syrup to the boil so why not? I've only done all grain brews so I'm just thinking of what goes on during a mash compared to a mini-mash. In the mini-mash your just collecting the flavor notes from the specialty grains, not trying to extract any more fermentables. So maybe 30 minutes isn't enough time for the flakes so they throw them in the boil. I can't see any reason not to throw them in the boil and see a possible reason they don't just throw them in the mash. If my reasoning is flawed I'm sure some nice person will let me know very soon!:D

You're right, that recipe makes no sense. Phooey Mr. Briess!

"[sic] Do a mini mash with 4 gallons of water and the (2#) of grains? Steep for ..."
What's it gonna be, Mr. Briess? Mash or steep?

I have no clue what the Insta Grains® Yellow Corn Thin Flakes are. Must be a Briess product too.

I guess the beer is some sort of Saison, given the yeast variety.

If you want to brew this, use common brewers' sense, and mini-mash the grains and adjuncts (flaked corn) in 1.25-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grains. Lauter and sparge in a colander lined with a "grain bag."
Make sure the wheat is milled and quite finely, whole kernels will not work.

Mini mash is just another name for partial mash. It isn't steeping. Mash the flaked corn so you don't get protein haze. And 4lbs of grains would do better mashed in 2 gallons of water,not 4 gallons. 4 gallons would be ok for steeping that amount. But using base grains,etc in a partial or mini mash would need 1.25 to 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grains.

It appears everything on the internet is not correct "Bonjour"

Hello Dennis,

This is not correct. The flakes should be steeped with the other grains, not boiled with the extract.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Cheers,

Dan Bies

Briess Industries

Back