Can I brew a 5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublevel007

Reaction score
Evening everyone! I just made myself a 10 gallon mashtun and my 16 gallon kettle will be here tomorrow. Since this will be my first all grain batch would I be able to do a 5 gallon batch in equipment this big or is it to big of dead space in the mashtun and kettle?

Kevin in Cleveland, addicted to brewing

One more stupid question i didn't see on that thread. In the event I don't destroy my first couple of all grain 5g batches and want to go big at 10 gal, could you use two tuns? I mean by splitting your total grain bill between two different tuns and spar gig each to the same kettle? I bought two 10 gal gator aid coolers and was going to use one as a HLT but I have other large pots I could use as a HLt instead

Kevin in Cleveland, addicted to brewing

it is possible, but the mash tun is one of the least expensive parts of an AG setup. Get a larger cooler, 1 mashtun = less hassles....

I would suggest that you perfect 5 gallon batches before trying 10 gallons. If you can't destroy 5 gallon batches, why would you think that you wouldn't destroy 10 gallon batches????

Latest posts

Back