Can I age a beer for 19yrs??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would buy some port to age, that would be nice. As for something to make though, I'd go for a burnt mead. When bottling I'd wax the bottles to help even more with keeping oxidation at bay. The nice thing I've found about the burnt mead is that you don't need to go hunting for some special honey, you can use what you buy at the store since you'd be boiling off any subtle flavors anyway the star of the show is the caramelization.

I think it's a great idea. You've heard the concerns of others on the board, and they all seem pretty much centered around oxidation and lack of carbonation. I don't see either issue as unsurmountable, oxidation can be combated by being careful with your beer, using oxygen-absorbing caps, and waxing the bottles. Losing carbonation really doesn't seem like much of a problem to me, with a good barleywine or imperial stout that's meant to be consumed a little warmer, I prefer to have it very lightly carbonated.

You could even make it a little bit of a ritual for yourself - every year on their birthday you open a bottle and see how it's coming along, then when they finally turn 19 you have a bottle or two to share. Worst case scenario then is that you have to drink it all early by yourself and figure something else out.

I too vote for a big mead, proper aging, and probably a little sulfiting to keep off oxidation.

I've made mead that stood the test of time for 11 years without going 'bad'. Past its peak maybe...but it was still tasty. 750ml wine bottles and standard 8.5 corks. No waxing, and actually no sulfites either.

Brewed a RIS to celebrate my granddaughters birth last November. We'll be drinking it in a couple of weeks for her first birthday. It's kegged, but I did bottle half a dozen bombers that will be cellared. The plan is to brew a big beer every November in her name and give a bottle of each to her for her 21st birthday. This year it will be an Old Ale.

Now I just have to live long enough to complete the project. :D

Brewed a RIS to celebrate my granddaughters birth last November. We'll be drinking it in a couple of weeks for her first birthday. It's kegged, but I did bottle half a dozen bombers that will be cellared. The plan is to brew a big beer every November in her name and give a bottle of each to her for her 21st birthday. This year it will be an Old Ale.

Now I just have to live long enough to complete the project. :D

What a great idea! Long live you sir!

I had a Saison de Pipaix, 6%, 14 years old, that was amazing. Funktastic and spicy. I'd much rather have that than an old ass wine.

I agree with that. I had a 1996 vintage a couple of years ago and it was very nice. A little oxidation, but that may be because it was kept at 70 on a store shelf. Cellar temps would have done wonderful things.

Just echoing what many have said. I looked into the "long term aging" question when I got married. If you're going commercial, I'd get a case of good port.

If you're making it, I'd do a big mead. But if you want, go for broke and do the barleywine too. You have nothing to lose, as others have said. Either way I think it's a great idea.

I have some 15 year old triple wheat that I found and it is quite good. I forgot about it and found it in a move lately. It was bottled in ceramic bottles and in a cold cellar at my parents. I was quite shocked. It changed flavor a bit and lost some hop flavor and aroma but was extremely drinkable. I am trying to see if I can age beer longer and have good results. After this I think beer can be kept for a long time if stored properly. Also this beer was bottle conditioned.

I've thought about this myself as I'm about to be a father for the first time as well. Personally I have decided to wait and see if they show any interest in my brewing and then make something that can age up till their 21st bday from there. It'll give me some breathing room to get into AG brewing so I can make a good ageable beer anyway :)

I had a barleywine in my attic for a long time. I think it was over 15 years. Even under these extreme conditions, the beer was very good. Very drinkable. I would say, "Go for it!" :rockin: At worse, you loose a couple of bucks and some time.

just wait till your kid is 19 and then pass the trade on. or make one when it is 18 and keep it till their 19th birthday

Back