Can I add water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmarcoux

Reaction score
I needed to brew two batches at a time so I used my 5 gal carboy to brew an American IPA. To prevent major issues with blow out, I have probably 4.25-4.5 gallons of beer. I am ready to transfer to the keg, but wanted to know if I should add a small amount of water to the keg to get it closer to 5 gallons, or just keep it a bit more concentrated?

Would adding water prior to carbonation have a negative effect?

Thanks in advance

Once fermentation is done, you shouldn't be adding water. If for whatever reason you had to add water, I would definitely boil it first to remove oxygen. But a .5 gallon at this point isn't going to make a big difference anyways, so I would just rack what you have.

+1 TTB-J

Not to mention, you'll be diluting your beer. I wouldn't risk adding water to get an additional two pints out of the batch.

I am going to disagree here with the other two. I had brewed a Belgian Dubble that had a strong boil, ended up with 4.5 gallons. When I went to prime the batch I used half a gallon of water with my sugar to get to the appropriate batch size (which also got us to the low end of the expected FG). The beer turned out amazing.

As long as you boil it first and let it cool to beer temperature then you should be fine.

Now, if you reached your expected FG, then you wouldn't want to dilute.

Your new FG would be calculated like this, assuming you are at 4.5g and adding half a gallon to get to 5g:

FG_original*4.5/5.0 = FG_new

where FG is expressed as the large number format, i.e. 1.012 = 12.

there is nothing wrong with adding sanitary water to your beer, just be sure that's what you really want to do. I probably wouldn't bother (and, in fact, I never do bother) but that's totally up to you.

You can sure add a qt or even 2 of H20 at the time that you add your priming sugar if you are bottling. Just be sure that you boil first. Keep in mind that it will just be thinning out your beer as per the thoughts above.

Are you planning on force carbing? What is the current FG and calculated ABV? If you wont end up with too low of a FG or too low ABV (and subsequently too thin of a beer) this would be a good chance to make a Hop Tea and add that as the additional volume.

Or you could just add 4 bombers of Stone Ruination IPA and let everyone marvel at how great of a homebrewer you are:D

I decided to leave it alone and just keg it like it came out. The FG was nearly spot on and I was about 1qt (or just a bit above) shy. Probably not worth the efforts. Will let you know how it tastes shortly, as it's being forced carbonated for a weekend party.

Thanks for the advice - as always, it's priceless!

Good choice.

I had a much higher boil off rate on my pale ale the other day. I was almost .75gal low (I know...). I left it alone and have it fermenting away happily.

You can add water any time. Boil and cool to be safe.

I do this with most of the beers I make. Diluting is OK if you make the beer stronger than intended (i.e., boil longer).

I create my recipes for 6 gallons, but I boil down to 5g to leave headspace in the fermenter for krausen. When fermentation is complete, I add about a gallon to fill up the carboy.

Back