Can Cacao nibs replace hops bitterness during boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonlonmilklover

Reaction score
Curious if anybody has brewed a brown ale using cacao nibs. I'm interested to see if cacao nibs, crushed, and thrown in a full 1 hour boil would replace the bitterness that hops offers, or if it would leave a funky bitter flavor instead.

I may just add the nibs to the fermenter if adding to the boil is going to produce an unpalatable flavor.

I've never heard of them being added in boil, but I'd be interested to see how it turns out. Most of the time, I believe it's added to secondary. Otherwise, adding it in primary might contribute to off flavors from the Yeast consuming the sugars. No idea if this is actually true, just a thought I had. I added chili pepper cacao nibs to my porter, and it's bottle conditioning now, but not in the boil.

Cacoa nibs are about a little less than 50% fat. That might kill your head retention and leave an oily mouth feel. If you could get some reduced fat nibs, it would work out.

Cacoa nibs are about a little less than 50% fat. That might kill your head retention and leave an oily mouth feel. If you could get some reduced fat nibs, it would work out.

I second that...I would use them only at flame out until ready to transfer or mostly at secondary for 1 day or 2. If you are looking to really kick it up, try upping the roasted barley or even a small coffee addition of grounds into the secondary for added bitterness.

Back