Can anyone find Phoenix hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used Phoenix for the first time in a porter, and it is wonderful. Kind of like Fuggle with a helping of chocolate -- yes, chocolate from hops. Plays very well with chocolate rye. In any case, I need more of this, and all of my usual places to shop either don't carry it, or are out of stock.

Anyone see this for sale, anywhere?

Phoenix is getting harder to find, even in the UK - it's not a great one for farmers as the yields are low and it's awkward to harvest. If all else fails you can get them direct from the farm at

https://stocksfarm.net/shop/hop-varieties/phoenix-2022/
https://www.abushelofhops.co.uk/product/phoenix-hops/ (although they're quite a lot more expensive that way)

On the flip side they're not a bad choice to grow at home, as they're a lot more disease resistant than most other hops.

You might want to keep an eye out for Flyer which is somewhat similar, but again is almost impossible to find these days.

Last edited:
Can't grow hops at home, as much as I'd like to: Hops are bad for dogs, and I have two that get into everything and like to eat plants.

Has anyone ordered hops shipped from overseas to the US? I don't want to break some law about importing agricultural products...

Can't grow hops at home, as much as I'd like to: Hops are bad for dogs, and I have two that get into everything and like to eat plants.

Time for some "guerilla gardening"? Plant them in some public land nearby?
Has anyone ordered hops shipped from overseas to the US? I don't want to break some law about importing agricultural products...
I'm dimly aware of the PNW being in some separate zone for the purposes of hop movements, but I think that's mainly just for plants rather than dried cones/pellets. I don't know how the USDA works it but effectively the EU doesn't worry too much for imports for "personal" use, defined as under a kilogram of dried hops.

It seems Stocks Farm are quite geared up to US exports so I'm sure they could advise but presumably they wouldn't quote US$ prices if there was a problem actually selling to the US.

I used Phoenix for the first time in a porter, and it is wonderful. Kind of like Fuggle with a helping of chocolate -- yes, chocolate from hops. Plays very well with chocolate rye. In any case, I need more of this, and all of my usual places to shop either don't carry it, or are out of stock.

Anyone see this for sale, anywhere?
Try here:
https://yakimavalleyhops.com/products/phoenix-hops

Hi,

You can buy Phoenix hops in leaf and pellet form from Stocks Farm in Worcester, England. They ship to the U.S.A. Figure on paying about $3.25 per ounce (= 28.35 grams). The quality of their hops are outstanding.

Bob

Ok, I’ve now got about 12 ounces of Phoenix in my freezer — 5 from Altitude Brew Supply, and another half pound from Northwest Hop Farms.

But now I need Pilgrim hops. YVH, where I got them first, is out. Northwest will sell them to me, but they’re from 2019. Please post if you know a good online shop that has them in stock!

Well Malt Miller has the 2021 Pilgrim... But I wouldn't sweat them too much, they're mostly used for generic bittering (in particular they're a common source of alpha extract used by the cool kids like Cloudwater) - can't think of many recipes that use them for their flavour.

Well Malt Miller has the 2021 Pilgrim... But I wouldn't sweat them too much, they're mostly used for generic bittering (in particular they're a common source of alpha extract used by the cool kids like Cloudwater) - can't think of many recipes that use them for their flavour.
I get pears and honey using them at 5 minutes. It’s really quite lovely, hence the frantic search for more

Back